With my Love of Handicap

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by dr.longshot, Apr 16, 2021.

1. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

My love of Handicap shooting and now not able to Mount my Beretta 391 Soft Touch Complete Trapgun
    and Updating it's ability To Smoke targets if not just in my mind. You see I know it's capability. Even using my Bow Flex arm strengthening work outs, and taking Omega 3 meds as a last ditch effort to give my last effort
    to give one last chance to Shoot. We'll see how it goes in these next few weeks.

Remember Never Give up/ I am giving my All, Dr.Longshot, see you all at Cardinal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GB.........................................DLS

2. jansonuhl

jansonuhl jansonuhl

I feel your pain. Destroyed my right shoulder in a fall. Not fixable. Cannot raise arm above shoulder. Damaged left shoulder to where can't hold the weight of the gun correctly by the forearm. Am able to hold gun with left hand under the trigger guard. That small a radius really exagerrates any gun movement. High targets almost impossible to get up to. Been shooting since 1947 and refuse to quit. Quit not in my vocabulary. Possible surgery may fix left shoulder. Been a weight trainer for 60+ years and no amount of exercise can fix either shoulder. Talk to surgeon in May about it. Will just keep on keeping on.

wpt and dr.longshot like this.
  3. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

So glad to hear from others that have disabilities and that ''can do mentality''.

wpt and dr.longshot like this.
  4. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I am going to shoot from the 27 from a Bar stool, from the waist, and Aim from the waist to break targets like I did when I was younger, that's my only choice, am going to sell the 391 composite complete gun w/soft-touch system, w/release & Pull triggers, new Kickeze pad, Trigger Shoe, see pics in guns for sale,
    $3,000 w/7 choke tubes, 3 Brand new ones, un-fired x-full, 2 Diff Imp Modified, Kicks IM Extended-ported, and Carlsons IM. $600.00 in extras.

GB..........................................DLS

5. Got Beagles

Got Beagles Active Member

Keep us updated Doc.

6. jansonuhl

jansonuhl jansonuhl

Be curious how you do. Best hip shooter i ever saw was Ray Stafford. Ask Dan Bonillas how good Ray is if he remembers.

wpt likes this.
  7. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

Would one of you be willing to explain how to sight or judge where to position the barrel when shooting from the hip?

Personally, I was never any good at it the few attempts I made. It would be interesting to hear from those who were able to break targets without shouldering their shotguns. I recall hearing of a fellow who could smoke targets holding the gun upside down over the top of his head. That always amazed me. As did the exhibition shooters like Herb Parsons.

Thanks,

HB

wpt likes this.
  8. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I have followed rookieshooter from a distance and try to keep up on his progress as he also is impressive and not ready to throw in the towel just yet ... I give people like this all the credit for hanging on and being bound by determination, the kind of people I never bet against ... I laid off and laid back on shooting registered targets as my own personal protest, affords me a logical and valid reason to not give my business (support) to the ATA any longer ... The changes over the years have smudged the luster that once existed which was part of the attraction, besides the people it affords you to meet and develop friendships with ... I plan on doing some shooting and in the event I get to a couple of the clubs on my bucket list I will probably even shoot a few registered targets, you never know , you know ..? Hang tough guys, we are getting older but not dead yet ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Dobyns and rookieshooter like this.
  9. jansonuhl

jansonuhl jansonuhl

I tried hip shooting one time. Shot 50 low house skeet targets from station 7. Went 0-50. Ray Charles could do that. ended my hip shooting career.

10. dr.longshot

In the U.S. Army they taught me about hip spot shooting using a 22 rifle, where your looking is where you bullet/shot will hit, if you are concentrating, it comes EASY

GB........................................DLS

11. plaw

plaw Mega Poster

I have never been a good handicap shooter but I like shooting handicap,singles seems boring after awhile.

12. dr.longshot

Handicap shooting is never boring, it takes concentration.

GB....................................DLS