which shot size and load amount is prefered from the 22 yard line

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by terrence salek, Oct 2, 2023.

1. I have been going to shoots where you shoot from the 22 yard line and not the 16. What size shot, lead amount and speed is preferred from there? I know you can break targets with 1 oz or slow speed, but i know that some shooters are crushing targets and they aren't using minimal loads and speeds. Teach me please!!!!

2. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

1 ounce of 8s at 1,200 fps through a full choke

3. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

What Smokintom said. You can also use 1.125 of 7.5 shot at 1200 full choke. If your on the target 1oz/ 1.125 oz 8's or 7.5 with full choke will work.

4. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

1 oz of 81/2 (must be hard shot) @ 1185-1200/ with an IM choke will smoke targets from the 22

5. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

1200fps of anything but whatever you choose, take it to the patterning board and verify its coverage is what you want.

Harvey McCraw likes this.
  6. i guess eagle shot is soft!...........right????

7. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

soft shot gets deformed by tight chokes

8. MCTS

MCTS Mega Poster

What is the benchmark for soft, chilled shot? Eagle is “hard” shot just not as hard as west coast/lawrence and others. Thanks

9. Ed Budreau

Ed Budreau Active Member Founding Member

Do yourself a favor and get some Heper shot. Far superior than anything else currently available.
    Terrence I would be shooting 1145 71/2 or 8’s for mid yardage Handicap. Good luck.

NoWill likes this.
  10. Diesel_ss

Diesel_ss Moderator

I use 1145 1oz 8. I've even used that on the 27. If your on'em they'll break.

NoWill and Harvey McCraw like this.
  11. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Active Member

shot these days is most likely under 3 % antimony so , 7/8 to 1 oz at 1150 fps is more than adequate with #8's !
    .020 to .025 constriction should be just fine , remember , the patterning board "Tells No Lies" .

slinkster likes this.