Where Would Ohio Be If....?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by CHILON, Aug 31, 2015.

1. CHILON

CHILON Guest

So I brought this up in another thread and either it was ignored because it struck a nerve or people just don't want to think that this could ever happen. With all the talk of Sparta closing/ not closing and where the grand will be held next year (my bet is Sparta will host the grand for many years to come, this is just political junk right now) I have a serious question that I have thought about and I do not have a clear option in mind and I don't know if there is one.

And I will state that I fully respect and appreciate what we have because of Mr Fishburn and this is not bashing him and/or crew. They allow us to have a premier facility due to their investment of money and time and this allows us the benefits we get from having such a nice facility (large shoots, large money options, high scores, good vendors etc.) I just look at things that are happening around us with PA fighting with Valley over their rights/ property etc., the Debacle in IL with the Grand and budgets and Vandalia closing because of the airport and I have a legitimate question.

So Here it is:

If Mr Fishburn, as a business man owning his private company, decided for whatever reason to close Cardinal Center ( not profitable enough, lawsuits, urbanization/ encroachment of the Columbus area, or he just decided that if the sky was blue and the grass was green this morning he would close the place down) where would the OSTA go? There is no club in Ohio large enough to host the State Shoot ( that I am aware of), and our Hall of Fame is on property that we do not own. Where would/ could we go?

2. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Middletown S.C. would probably be the location to 'host' the Ohio State Shoot.

They have 'room' to expand their trap-line, and there were 'talks' about doing so to be able to hold the shoot.

The Ohio State Shoot is in a much better location, but Middletown could be made to work, and I think it was held there one year in the past.

3. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

Between West Virginia and Indiana?

dr.longshot likes this.
  4. CHILON

CHILON Guest

Thanks @smoking357 . Helpful answer, I was leaning towards Oregon, but I'm glad you put me back in line.

5. Dr Short shot

Dr Short shot I Luv Sparta

If anything Happened to the Cardinal Center and I hope it Don't. I would like it to move to Sparta Il. I love them Fishing Lakes they Have Their. BD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DRSS

6. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

There was a push to put the Buckeye Classic in Sparta. But....too late. Lights go out at midnight.

7. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

I didn't know there was a town, township, county, or city in OHIO named Oregon.

What part of Ohio is the community called Oregon located?

A poster a few replies up thought it should be moved to sparta Ill.

I don't think that would work. I think the name has been changed to spartagon.

Accent on the last syllable.

Flyersarebest

8. Gerald

Gerald Mega Poster Founding Member

Oregon, Ohio....Lucas County, Toledo area. FYI.

Regards.....Gerald

9. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Middletown Hosted the state shoot in 1981 and I also shot the state shoot there in 1957 59 and 1961 with the 1958 60 and 1962 shoot being held in Findlay. The Findlay club was Fisher brothers shooting park, which later became Jaqua's.

Dave Berlet

dr.longshot likes this.
  10. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Dave what year and state shoot did you give up your flint lock? Was it hard learning to shoot angles with a cap lock in the beginning and did you use a release then or later-er? Also since I'm asking questions how was your prom date with Annie Oakley? Brad (Yes I'm still bitter about you and Dirk beating me so bad at the chicken shoot this week end.)

11. Flyersarebest

Thank you

12. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

Dave, After reading all of the comments, especially Brad's, how the heck old are you ????

Dave in Fl.

13. Flyersarebest

Really! Talk about getting your money's worth on a lifetime membership.

Flyersarebest

14. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Born in 42, attended my first grand in 44 and shot in my first grand in 57. My lifetime total of grand program targets is over 99,000.

Dave Berlet

15. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

People ask where would Ohio be if ..?
    Ohio seems to be doing just fine without all of the hoopla of the grand american which by the way seemed to be doing a lot better for itself when it was located in Ohio, if attendance means anything ... It was old, out dated, dilapidated, worn out, and in need of major repairs but it was the Grand as we all knew it to be ... If it was still in the same exact spot it would still have more shooters than the WSRC in Sparta, Ill will ever realize ... Change is sometimes a good thing, sometimes not so good which proved to be the case once all is said and done ... Trapshooting is alive and well in Ohio, the last thing they would need would be more shoots, but you never know, you know ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot likes this.
  16. Dave Berlet

Brad maybe you need to go to one of the big dogs for a few lessons? Those long yardage glass balls were really tough to hit before we learned to put some restriction in the barrel, but then they narrowed the angles and shortened the distance they threw them and everyone got a ribbon and all was well. Annie and I were very close till that mean ole George S come along and stole her away and I'm still trying to get over it and it was really rude of you to bring that subject again.

Dave Berlet

17. Flyersarebest

18. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Dave,
    I would give you 2 Annies for that gal you have now.

19. History Seeker

BANNERMAN PUMP 1.jpg BANNERMAN PUMP 1.jpg

Brad, they tell me Dave graduated to one of these after the cap lock.

I love you two having fun with each other....Too bad old Doc Parsons isn't here, he would bust both of you real well. He was the best at that.

20. Dave Berlet

Mine didn't have all those pretty little squiggles allover the receiver

Dave Berlet.

Just Joe likes this.
  21. History Seeker

It ain't the Arrow Dave, It's the indian shootin' it...;)