What is a "MOU" ????

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by User 1, Jan 10, 2016.

1. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorandum_of_understanding

"It is often used in cases where parties either do not imply a legal commitment or in situations where the parties cannot create a legally enforceable agreement."

Have some Kool Aid and read that again ...... "situations where the parties cannot create a legally enforceable agreement."

Flyersarebest and wpt like this.
  2. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

In this situation the MOU is not the issue. It is the why. Why cant or wont the parties come to an agreement.

Don't overlook the obvious.

The two parties have a lease. The State of Illinois did not honor it. From the president of the ATA:

We will be notifying the State in the next few days of their default on the agreement and will begin exploring possible contingency options, should the need arise, for the 2016 Grand American. Gipson 2015

The ATA fooled Illinois. Sparta was DOA but the guns and perks kept coming. Anti gun Blagojevich got elected and then pulled the IDNR funds.

They already have a lease. It is worthless.

The next lease or mou wont be enforceable either

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2016
  3. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

FG,

I just have a strange feeling that "Someone" is going to pony up some serious money, Sub-lease the place for 2016 from the State (or ATA), and the ATA will have their GAH on the property.

As for the following years, we'll have to wait and see..That someone could be a "Donor", a group of fellows who are looking at a tax shelter, or the ATA membership itself putting up the money.

None the less, I just believe there is a lot more behind the scenes going on than we are privy to at this time...Remember the Need to know ?, and of course I really don't expect them to mention anything during the negotiations anyway..bad business if they did.

Just look at this MOU..had you heard anything about it before the Morris letter ???

Probably not.

The 2016 GAH shall be interesting.

Stay tuned to the ATA web site..they are still advertising the 2016 GAH to be held at the Sparta facility...

4. User 1

"Don't overlook the obvious." .... That covers a lot of ground.

I call the "MOU" pandering, others find it a straw of hope to grasp. The "MOU", and the "lease", have zero legal value. But, through the art of pandering buys the "ATA" time to deflect blame for poor "leadership".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pandering .... "a person who caters to or profits from the weaknesses or vices of others."

Sparta is a bottomless money pit that will consume all the cash some are willing to feed it. That is "obvious".

"Why cant or wont the parties come to an agreement." .... best guess, no one wants to take the "loss" for 2000 shooters to live the "dream".

wpt and Flyersarebest like this.
  5. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

From what I have read, the Martins are backing it as the Signature Sponsors if approved...

They must have decided to give it another try.

We'll see what happens.

Not a Kool Aid fellow by any means, just looking at the possibilities that "Could" happen.

6. robb

robb Well-Known Member

Sounds like kicking the can to me

History Seeker and exit140 like this.
  7. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Active Member

Personally I think it's shameful the way the ATA uses the Martins. I don't know them personally but I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking with them. They are wonderful people

8. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

I think MOU in this case should be changed from "memorandum of understanding" to "memorandum of uncertainty".

wpt likes this.
  9. User 1

Is is "shameful the way the ATA uses the Martins". To use the "ATA's" money for personal gain is bad enough, but to "use" successful people with a big heart is inexcusable.

It is "shameful" that there are great clubs, ran by great people, have great shoots, that are being dragged down by the "ATA". If I refuse to support the corrupt "ATA", these great clubs, and the great vendors who take the time to set up, are the one's who take the biggest hit, not the "ATA".

The "ATA" leaders are far more interested in self-serving, than any damage to the clubs or abuse of people with a big heart. There WAS more to the "ATA" than the "Grand", but the last few months and years you would never know it. Such an effort to keep the "year-round vendor" and side show running, is "shameful". If a few resignations would bring back thousands of members .... you can guess that will never happen, and that is "shameful".

wpt likes this.