Thoughts on Reclaimed Shot???

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Matt Dearth, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Matt Dearth

Matt Dearth Member

I ran across a gentleman this week that was selling out his late fathers reloading equipment and supplies. He had several bags of shot that appear to be mixed sizes like they were filled with reclaimed shot. Whats everyone's opinions on reclaim?

2. Pkotlost

Pkotlost Member

At the 16 yard line it’s fine. I have not had any problems with it. I will not use it for handicap or second shot double. And normally I don’t use it on registed targets just for mental reasons.

3. Billy

Billy Mega Poster

Great for practice and Dove loads!

4. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

I shoot a lot of reclaimed shot. Have for years.

5. alf174

alf174 Mega Poster Founding Member

I've had zero luck with it at the patterning board so I avoid it.

Michael J likes this.
  6. geno 12

geno 12 Active Member

Just reloaded and shot my first reclaim shot. Loads fine and works well at 16 yards- Will tell you more once we start shooting here, central Ill. Price is great $35/25#

7. LCH

LCH Mega Poster Forum Leader

I've shot as little as 7/8 oz loads of reclaimed and it breaks a 16 yard target just fine. 1 1/8oz would probably be good out to 20-22 yards.

8. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member

I liked it, that being said I found a few things that might give you a pause.
    First it is dirty, not that is a big thing. I found that you can buy hardware cloth
    That is sized just right to allow 7.5 8 9 to pass through and sort out bigger stuff.

You might take some wd 40 or lighter oil to the shot
    Run a magnet through is to get out the steel you never know what you find

To me it worked to any yardage you wanted it to work

good luck

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Look closely at the interior of your barrel and you might be surprised.

10. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Washed it, resized it ,regraphited it, will buy newshot!

Matt Dearth likes this.
  11. Matt Dearth

Matt Dearth Member

It appears to be consistent in size like an 8.5-9. I imagine it may be reclaim from the skeet club this man shot at. I will make some flyers to hang up at the local skeet club near us and see if I can find a buyer. I'm more of a fan of 7.5's for trap.

12. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

One ounce of that at 1200FPS might be the ticket for 16 yard targets.

Matt Dearth likes this.
  13. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

I shoot it for all practice at a cost of $15 a bag it makes good reasonable priced reloads and it breaks targets.