Question for Mr. Dysinger. Settle a bet.

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Roy D, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Roy D

Roy D Well-Known Member

Brad,

A buddy and I have similar abilities, decent but not particularly good. (Plenty of 100-straights, A-Class or better for years, I've run 200 once and he's shot a multiple 199s). But we disagree on when to call for the target.

He says, "Mount the gun properly and just let your eyes call for the target. In other words wait for the sight picture to look PERFECT, then call for the target." This means he calls for the bird anywhere from 1 second to 4 seconds after mounting the shotgun, and it varies noticeably during every round.

I say, "Get your eyes right (still and soft focused) FIRST, then mount the gun without bouncing your eyes, and call for the target very shortly thereafter. That could mean 1/2 second or 1-1/2 seconds, but always try to KEEP THE TIME BETWEEN MOUNTING AND CALLING SHORT AND CONSISTENT so it becomes your natural rythm. And if anything doesn't look right or prevents you from calling for the bird in that short time, then simply lower the gun and start over."

This has always been a friendly, trivial disagreement until recently when he said something that raised the stakes. He said, "I'm pretty sure I adopted my method after hearing Brad Dysinger teaching it back in the 80s." I think what he actually meant was he read it when you participated in T&F's "Ask an All-American" column. In any case, I call TOTAL BS and told him you would NEVER advise such utter nonsense!

Lunch with beer is riding on this so if you would be so kind as to settle this bet, please be definitive and deservedly cruel in your reply.

Thanks!
    Roy

2. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

It was always better for me to call for the target sooner than later. The longer I held my gun up the more likely my eyes would look at the bbl. and not the bird.

3. Roy D

Roy D Well-Known Member

Thanks Brad.

Roy

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.