Question About Vandalia

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Cooperdisciple, Aug 21, 2022.

1. The last year I registered targets was 2003, so this is for the experienced (old time) shooters.
    I ran into a gentleman at the Grand that shot a VERY nice model12. He was always dressed very well; dress pants and shirt, I believe a necktie, dress shoes. Almost a costume but I got the impression from the few times I talked with him that his attire was not for effect but rather who he was. He was the best dressed shooter on the grounds, imho.
    Anyway, I was just wondering who he was. Maybe Brad or Dave Berlet could help.
    Thanks.

2. cl3

cl3 Mega Poster Founding Member

About that time there was a well dressed man and a well dressed lady that attended the shoots in Vandalia, never knew their names. Just happened to hear Bill Jaqua ask someone who they were.

3. Geterdun

Geterdun Active Member

PETER STREUBER??????

BRAD DYSINGER and robb like this.
  4. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I remember the couple, I don't remember the name. If my memory is correct they were a couple from Maryland and he ran a filling station. Very possibly Brad would remember the name.

Dave Berlet

Cooperdisciple likes this.
  5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

You old timers are losing your memory. Those two were Vince and Barbara McGlynn. Barbara is deceased and shot a Ljutic later in her career.

Mike Poore, PaShooter, cl3 and 2 others like this.
  6. Billy

Billy Mega Poster

Nailed it dog

7. Thank you all for the information.
    I was talking with a friend and he brought this up.

8. Trap3

Trap3 Mega Poster

You could be thinking of the late Leigh Coffin of Nebraska... Always dressed in white shirt and necktie. Shot a Winchester pigeon grade Model 97

Trap3

MODEL 1897 SQUAD.jpg1.jpg

9. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

oh gawd o' mighty. don't let 4H see that pic! lol. muzzles under the chins!

10. kolarpole

kolarpole Well-Known Member Founding Member

Take a look at the actions......!!.....They are ALL open for all to see.. Vandalia was a special place !!

11. Past OSTA President Tim Hunsaker

Past OSTA President Tim Hunsaker Moderator Forum Reporter Forum Leader

Vandalia was a very special place! I first shot there in 1978, during the "hayday of trapshooting." Some of my most cherished memories are from the old Grand American and the Ohio State Shoot. I first met Leo Harrison during those days and, at that time, he was living in Hannibal, Missouri. The grounds were packed with shooters & visitors alike. The wagons were the main source of transportation, or a bicycle, because golf carts were only used by trap personnel or shoot management. Having your name & score listed out side of the Winchester, Federal or Remington building was always a huge deal. Those days are gone forever but I can look back and say with some pride, "I was part of it!'

12. TF1

TF1 Active Member Founding Member

Mr. Hunsaker captures many of my feelings. The anticipation and adrenaline would kick in when I turned onto National Road, and by the time I got out the car I was no longer middle aged, but felt like a teenager. So many people to see and talk to, so many vendors to shop, plenty of targets to shoot and new empties to take home. I know it’s gone forever, and I never lived in Ohio or was especially fond of visiting any other place there, but I don’t get that feeling anywhere else and doubt that I will get it ever again. I miss the experience and miss so many friends.

13. oleolliedawg

I\ll betcha many of us miss the Shuckin' Shack too.

14. bobski

4h doesn't care about actions. theyd still have a fit.
    personally, I see nothing wrong with that pic, fyi.

15. bobski

funny how you say how ones heart would pump as you neared the grounds. my coach always said, plan on dropping birds on your first grand due to your heart racing. and the more you attended, it would get better.
    hey, look what I found! 1993.
    grand ata hq.JPG

16. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

Vandalia played a huge part of my life from my first Grand in 1975 to my last in 1985.
    Founded a very successful gun case company in the 70's. With the likes of Bonillas, Ohey and a few hundred others including the US Olympic Trap team.
    But that was small compared to the equipment cases made for the professional ball teams like the Redskins, Dallas, LA Raiders and a few hockey teams.
    Now throw in the US Army and even some clandestine cases for the...better stop.
    But none of this would have never happened, had I not built my first gun case and showed it off at Vandalia.

How could I ever forget my last shots I ever shot at Vandalia. I walked out under the lights with Bonillas, Leo and a few others for the Worlds Doubles championship. It's not important how I did. But the fact that I shot and did well at a place called Vandalia.

17. Mike Poore

Mike Poore Active Member

Vince and Barbara had their camper a few spots from ours at Elysburg. I shot with him many times up on bank 7. I believe he ran an auto repair shop and was always the perfect gentleman, on and off the trapfield. He shot his last registered targets in 2016, I believe the year he passed. Barbara hadn't shot since 2011.

18. Mike Poore

Mike Poore Active Member

PS: I believe that Jeff & Kelly Graupp now occupy that campsite.

19. oleolliedawg

Mike, don't write off Vince so fast. He's alive and well-just not shooting.

20. Mike Poore

Mike Poore Active Member

Sorry Vince. I suppose you're thrilled to learn of Andy's correcting the erroneous report of your passing.

21. farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om

farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om Well-Known Member

Gosh damn I too remember the Vandalia “experience” started thinking about it probably in June shootin' at a registered event…”lost”. Arrival day came set up the Shotgun Sports corner spot swapped stories with Stan Baker and Art. Next up deciding to get in the long long line to sign up or hit the food vendors. Yes the people wagons, the gun manufactures, Herb Orr's super choke pavilion, holy cow was that Hal DuPont, gruf 'n rough Al Ljutic, John Hall soft selling his gun case and Al Timney crisping up triggers it was magical seeing all the “who's who” in trapshooting every year…and the awe inspiring big name shooters walking around mingling with us mere mortals….awesome. The always impressive mile long trap line, watching planes landing and taking off in the distance…”lost”. Such great memories!!!

22. Past OSTA President Tim Hunsaker

Past OSTA President Tim Hunsaker Moderator Forum Reporter Forum Leader

I do miss the guy selling the sausage sandwiches. He would set up just east of the Winchester building along the road behind the trapline but in front of the tent vendors. If you road the wagons or was anywhere near the Hall of Fame building/shootoff area, people had that look in their eye much like a buck in rut with a hot doe up wind: they would follow the smell right to his stand. He had sausage coiled up, on a flat top, and all the fixings simmering beside it. He would cut the sausage to just more than bun length, pull out a piece of tin foil, lay the bun on it before placing the sausage in the bun. He would then ask, "how do you want it?" I have tried but could never replicate that magical smell or the sandwich

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  23. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Farmer Frank, As you mention John Hall do you remember his corn stand? He would have a blackboard hanging on the side with shooters names on it saying something like ate 5 claimed 6 and so on. The stand was just a little west of the famous sausage stand. Just one more great memory of the grand when it was truly grand. For you folks who didn't have the opportunity to attend the grand back then you missed something that can't be reproduced. My thinking is that it was the world series and the super bowl all rolled into one. Just my opinion.

Dave Berlet

24. Justin L.

Justin L. Active Member

And it will never be replicated again- different time and politics now.

Cooperdisciple and BRAD DYSINGER like this.
  25. farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om

farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om Well-Known Member

Tim Tim Tim…the sausage stand oh my gosh as many as I enjoyed/consumed over the years could well be the cause for late in life medications. BADABOOM

Cooperdisciple likes this.
  26. Nick Bare

Nick Bare Guest

I had to hold my nose every time I walked past there just to keep from vomiting! (I also can't stand the smell or taste of coffee)

27. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Well-Known Member Founding Member

Who remembers “Mary Mase”? or the belt maker that hand stamped your name on a piece of brass and riveted it onto the belt. I am still using one of them on my shell bag.

Ron Burdick

28. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

Yep, I got one. Just can't remember where it's at. Probably lost in one of my many moves from one too many divorces.