question about k80 wood and their finishes

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by bobski, Jul 26, 2023.

1. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

back in the 90's, it was common to see a blonde finish on k80 stocks. also, the marbling was spectacular.
    what was it called? was it a French clairo marbled walnut?
    if anyone has pics of that kind of wood, post it so I can see it and confirm its what im asking about.
    thanks.

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

The blonde stocks were most likely English walnut. Never seen French walnut that was blond, mostly red to darker brown hue.

3. Billy

Billy Mega Poster

• David nailed it I have seen them in the early 80’s
    KO was selling unfinished stocks and K32 barrels for Dieter Krieghoff before he became
    Established in Ottsville I was there! Billy

4. bobski

is English walnut graded the same as American? crotch/marbled/ aaa/aa/a/select/straight grain/cross cut, etc....?
    what was the old 32 sile wood? American walnut?

5. David McMillen

Yes, English walnut is graded like any other wood used for shotguns. The K32 wood was plain jane black walnut, with most graded as grade 1, except for the higher engraved models.

6. bobski

ok,thanks.
    btw, is English as hard as black walnut?

now, if you see any circa 90's English walnut blonde factory skeet or trap stock sets in great shape with a adj comb laying around....lmk!
    bob

7. David McMillen

Yes, english is as hard as black walnut. In my opinion, maple is the hardest and hard to work with, and claro is the softest. English, turkish, and black walnut fall in-between.

cwtech likes this.
  8. bobski

made my day. thanks.