model 12 release

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by guiness, Feb 12, 2022.

1. guiness

guiness Member

Model 12 pull and release trigger with initials BN by trigger screw any idea of maker

2. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Post a picture please
    How is it changed from pull to release and back?
    Is there a small “lever” or is the safety button used to switch it over.
    Herb Orre

Maybe the initials are of the previous owner and not the maker

Just Joe likes this.
  3. Oldman1949

Oldman1949 Member

The initials are those of a factory inspector , not the maker of the release or a previous owner .

4. Thomas Hahn

Thomas Hahn Active Member

I have one also that is either pull or release but I don't know who made it . It came installed on a Model 12 I bought from gun brokers. not for sale

5. Flyersarebest

So they are from the Winchester inspection department
    I assumed, yeah I know what that means, that the initials were on the trigger assembly that was hidden when in the receiver.

Do ALL model 12’s have the initials of the inspector stamped on them?

6. Oldman1949

Oldman1949 Member

No . I do not know when that change was made .

7. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I believe that at least some one else also made a combo trigger for the model 12 that you could change to either release or pull by moving the safety from side to side. Maybe a coppycat, but I believe Herb made the most of these trigger alterations and I don't believe that he stamped an identification on them. This is what I remember of this topic. Many years ago this topic was discussed quite often.

Dave Berlet

Flyersarebest and Butch32 like this.
  8. guiness

guiness Member

Should have been more clear the initials are on the outside of the trigger guard and not hidden but right above the hole for the trigger screw. I would not have wondered if they were hidden when trigger installed Cheers

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Timney made release/pull Model 12 triggers and Phillips will do 'em too.

wpt likes this.
  10. guiness

guiness Member

Since we are talking about the release trigger I have an issue with it.When I drop a shell into the port, the carrier does not chamber it when I close action. The pull trigger from the gun does everything fine. Put the two trigger groups together and cannot see any differences in the carrier mechanisms???

11. oleolliedawg

I don't believe the carrier is the problem. It's likely the catch is not protruding when you close the bolt so it's a timing issue.

12. guiness

guiness Member

Thanks oleo is this an issue I can fix? I will be using it only for singles and handicap so cycling is not essential but I would like it to work properly

13. oleolliedawg

The old men who could time Model 12's are mostly gone. Call this number 570-455-6091-Mark-I think he can help.

14. guiness

guiness Member

one more question oleo. What is the catch you are referring too? I haven't nailed down all the Model 12 jargon yet Thanks

15. oleolliedawg

Look on the bottom of the trigger assembly. There are two ways to release the pump handle after dry firing-pushing forward on the pump handle or using the release catch I'm referring to.

16. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Spears and Timney both made convertible triggers ... I have both and do not shoot a release ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Flyersarebest

Well Hello WPT
    It’s been 4 months, hope all is well

Just Joe likes this.
  18. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Trying to recover from the Cancer treatments, got Covid so they could not do the biopsy on my lungs, trying again March 3, hoping for the best ... I lost 75 pounds, cannot recall ever being this thin (205) ... No energy so I do not get on the computer like I used to .... WPT ... (YAC) ...

oleolliedawg likes this.
  19. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

Was wondering about you. Hang in there friend.

wpt likes this.
  20. Flyersarebest

Hang Tough Pal. Thinking of you and hoping you are back as soon as you feel up to it.
    Let us know how things are going whenever you can.