Middletown MidAmerican

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by blf3, Apr 20, 2017.

1. blf3

blf3 Active Member Founding Member

It appears the will be using the traps east of the skeet fields.Has anyone shot these?If you have,what are they like,background,etc.

2. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

The first few years I shot at Middletown they used traps on the far side of the skeet fields. All but a couple of those fields had been removed over the years leaving just two traps all the way down by the tree line. Those two traps have been used for practice during registered events in recent years. Has the club rebuilt the trap fields that were removed? To answer your question, yes I have shot on the fields east of the skeet layout. Background was very similar to all the other fields there (meaning no two are alike). One of the things I enjoy about Middletown is they do not use a bank system of 4 traps side by side. At a club with such a varied background I feel that is the fairest way to handle it.

dr.longshot likes this.
  3. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Very challenging place to shoot for that reason. You usually get wind in your face somewhere. The next trap always presents a new problem.

My favorite clubhouse.

dr.longshot likes this.
  4. blf3

blf3 Active Member Founding Member

Maybe just for practice,I saw orange cones on the roof.A regular at the club said the are going to use them.

dr.longshot likes this.
  5. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I won my very First ATA Trophy at the Mid American in 1969, B class singles for a 199

GB.............................DLS

Don Cogan likes this.
  6. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I liked the 16 trap layout, you shot 1st trap be it 1,2,3,or 4, you then walked 4 traps and shot, and then walked 4 traps Etc., it would be nice to have Tractor bring you back to Club House.

You can also look for Mushrooms at this shoot.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GB...........................................DLS

Don Cogan likes this.
  7. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

Doc,
    199 at Middletown in those days was certainly something to proud of! Riding back on the hay wagon reminded me of Vandalia. You better keep your mushroom "honey holes" quite or everyone will be picking those morels! A couple years back I had my camper there and a buddy of mine disappeared behind my camper into the woods for about a half hour and emerged with a bag full of morel mushrooms! He wouldn't say where his favorite spots were but he did share the mushrooms with me.

dr.longshot and Roger Coveleskie like this.
  8. Brian Seibert

Brian Seibert Active Member

The only traps I have trouble with are the ones right in the corner. The left angle birds fly right at the clay fields, and past the turn the birds seem to fly higher. They tell me that if you can shoot at Middletown, you can shoot anywhere. I wonder if they have shot off the hill at Newport, or at Wright Pat during a little wind from the west. It's all fun!
    Flinch King

9. Brian Seibert

Brian Seibert Active Member

Why does it always rain the weekend of the Mid American? A couple years ago, I was shooting with Pete Streuber and it was blowing rain so hard that my left side looked like a just laid down in a mud puddle and my right side was just damp.

dr.longshot likes this.
  10. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

The first large shoot I ever attended was the Mid American. I can't remember if that was the year it snowed or another year but the weather wa almost always bad. One year though Dave Berlet and I found a bunch of mushrooms in the woods around the club, maybe my best mid american ever. Brad

cl3 likes this.