Left Eye Dominance Phenomenon with Browning A5 Humpback

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Ernroe, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Ernroe

Ernroe Well-Known Member

I have posted on this site before regarding my left eye dominance. I have 2 A5s that I bird hunt with a, Sweet 16 and a 20ga. For some reason when I use those 2 guns I shoot with both eyes opened. I'm not necessarily the best wing shooter around but I hit way more than I miss. My theory is that the humpback configuration of the receiver naturally blocks my left eye. Has anybody else on this site had that experience? I do realize that hunting is different because you don't have time to set up and call for the target.
    Ernroe

Attached Files:

2. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Sorry, but the words "Left Eye Dominance Phenomenon" caught my attention ......

This "Phenomenon", or affliction, seems to be dormant, other than when some people 'miss' with a shotgun ......

It would seem this affliction should have an ill effect on other things ..... throwing a baseball, shooting a basketball, bowling, golf, fishing, mowing the grass, riding a bike, and many more things .....

It would seem anything that required some level of eye/hand accuracy, would become the same level of inaccurate while doing other things .....

Who knows ..... the way some people throw a baseball, shoot a basketball, bowl, golf, fish, mow the grass, ride a bike, and many more things ..... may now have a cause for poor performance .....

3. Ernroe

Ernroe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. If, you are saying some people are not as proficient as other people when it comes to eye hand coordination I cannot argue that point. However, if you are saying that eye dominance has no impact of shooting a shotgun you are mistaken. If you don't believe me ask some good shooters. Phil Kiner and Nora Ross come to mind as I have taken both of their clinics. I was merely making the point cross dominate eye has to be adjusted for when shooting a shotgun. And, that the humpback configuration may help although was not designed for that purpose. Like some medicines have off label benefits.

4. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

There probably are not many 'good shooters' you could name that I have not talked to, in person, over the past 50 plus years .....

Some 'good shooters' may think the color of your underwear, or any number of strange things has something to do with breaking good scores .....

That only proves that whatever works for a person is great, but has little to do with anything else .....

I guess after 5 plus decades of shotgun shooting, my opinion of 'eye dominance issues' is it is a mainly Trapshooting exclusive issue better attributed to LOFT problems .....

FWIW ..... I have never had a 'good shooter', or anyone else, explain why 'eye dominance issues' are random and used for lost targets ..... Why would a person not have the 'problem' all the time with every shot ????? IF ..... 'eye dominance issues' are constant, then a why would you not miss all the targets ?????

5. Ernroe

Ernroe Well-Known Member

Okay, the conversation is getting off course. Maybe it is because I use the term phenomenon. I was just asking about the configuration of the A5 receiver helping people with a cross dominate eye to shoot with both eyes open. I also stated that it was just my theory and as I'm sure you know a theory is different from dogma.
    So, let us drop this conversation and should we converse again hopefully it will be on a more amicable topic.

BTW, I see you are a founding member of this forum and you have my gratitude. This site was sorely needed. Thank You.

Flyersarebest likes this.