Leadership and Target Size Matters - ATA Delegates and Target Prices

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Family Guy, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Who is the recent ATA Delegate / Leader that formally approached a target manufacturer and asked the following questions? -

How can we make targets more affordable?

How can we reduce shipping costs?

How can we partner to achieve our goals?

With the cost of raw materials, where could we get sporting targets with less raw materials?

Who is the leader that did this? Any guesses? From what state?

Need a clue?

2. Family Guy

Of course the above was a trick question!

The ATA does not have that type leadership.

But….the answers are out there. And it isn’t complicated.

3. Family Guy

In the economy today we need additional changes surrounding targets that also saves labor costs. Is leadership working just as hard on that issue?

More clues soon.

4. Family Guy

What would the advantages be for smaller targets?

5. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Family Guy, I had a sporting clays course at Thorn Bottom from 1996 until about 2005, during those ten years my best year was a little north of 200,000 targets thrown. I didn't shoot registered Sporting just practice and fun shoots. I threw 110's, 108's (ATA Targets) 90's, 60's rabbits, battues (spelling). Of these targets my favorite to throw was the 90.

The 90 would retain it's speed at distance much better than the smaller 60 did. A 60 slows down very quickly after leaving the trap. The 60 was also affected by the wind where a 90 was more stable in flight. So if you're looking for a smaller target I'd say try the 90.

In fact I still have an automatic trap that I bought a 90 target turret for to replace the 108 one that came on it and was going to build an ATA trap field that I was going to throw 90's at. Just when I was getting ready to do this the ATA moved to Sparta and I could see the hand writhing on the wall so I never built my trap field.

I had a couple of reasons why I was going to do this, one fun I like the idea of a different game and a tougher target. I think that if you make the target smaller it will affect the longer range shooter more than the short yardage shooter and help even the scores and get to a true handicap system. I've always thought that a smaller target would be cheaper and more sporting than the ones the ATA uses now.

The cost's, A truck load of 90's has a lot more targets on it than a truck load of 108's so it would be a lot cheaper to ship for a club (me). I never had near the breakage with 90's like 108's, their smaller size makes them easier to handle and reduces handling damage. Now this may or may not be other's experience but it was my experience.

We all know that the ATA is dying and Brandon's inflation may be the final straw, so maybe going to smaller targets will save a little money and bring back some interest in ATA. If I cared what happened to the ATA I'd be all over this idea but beating a dead horse has no benefits so good luck Family Guy with this or getting a response from ANY ATA official.

6. STaT mAn STaN

STaT mAn STaN Mega Poster

You can put about 30% more 90’s on a tractor trailer. How much does that save on shipping?

7. Kiehl

Kiehl Well-Known Member

How many more targets can you load on a Pat trap?

8. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

Kiehl, The same as you load now. The magazine would have to be sleeved or modified to take the smaller target, and maybe some adjustments to the throwing arm.
    It makes a lot of sense to make changes to the sport rather than see it die as the leaders of the ATA are doing. Smaller gauge guns could also be an incentive for lowering shooting costs to the shooter. That's my 2 cents what ideas do you have? Roger C.

9. MRED

MRED New Member Founding Member

Roger You are right.
    Minor in house mods and Pat Traps would throw a middy size target and vastly reduce target prices.

Targets have morphed in many directions over the years. Unfortunately we have a stagnant bunch of delegates. I am sure they don’t think this is their problem.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  10. badactor

badactor Active Member Founding Member

Adjusting to different targets might be great for vendors. How large is participation now?

11. Pommygrant

Pommygrant Member

Strange how trapshooters would whine about the cost of targets when they could have cheaper targets just by changing the size or shape.

Back in the day trapshooters were hunters. Not so much now.

Look who they put in the Trapshooting HOF lately.

12. Justin L.

Justin L. Active Member

I’d be all for smaller targets- would add some spice to the game. Smaller gauges? Nope- ask skeet shooters how that worked for them.

Flyersarebest likes this.
  13. Warren61

Warren61 Active Member

Targets with less volume would be the goal. Thinner targets would have to be harder and less brittle but harder to break would work for me.

We all shoot at the same target. Don’t expect this group of delegates to get creative.

14. CB630

CB630 Well-Known Member

What are the costs of different targets ,per case ?