If you could pick a person on your squad (trapshooter)?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Fiochi1979, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Fiochi1979

Fiochi1979 Member

If you could pick a person, any trapshooter, dead or alive, who would you pick for a 200 bird event?

2. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

I would pick LEO, He was one of the best squad mates I ever had. Roger C.

wpt likes this.
  3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Frank Little. Great guy!

Family Guy likes this.
  4. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

Dan Orlich

Family Guy likes this.
  5. merlo

merlo Mega Poster Forum Reporter

History Buff or Annie Oakley.

6. Stelts

Stelts Active Member

Trap Wife

wife.jpg
    By the end of the day I would know the plan!

7. Smithy

Smithy Mega Poster Founding Member

WPT and Gipson on my squad.

Roger Coveleskie and wpt like this.
  8. NRA LIFER

NRA LIFER Member

o.jpg

Any questions?

wpt likes this.
  9. Trap Haus

Trap Haus Active Member Founding Member

Ken Oakley. Ken got me started in trap in 63, and would take me to Dover Bay on saterdays. Also gave me a MEC 400 For Christmass.

10. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Is thism a heshe, a female or male, Im see no mammarys TITS

GB....................DLS

11. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

WOW, I can think of so many greats I would love to squad with besides the ones I already have had the pleasure of being on a squad with ... Damn, tough question, and even harder to answer ... I am flattered that Smithy would like to be on a squad with me, you never know, you know ..? "Touche" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Is that Pres. Barrack Obama shooting SKEET or Sporting Clays, not good enuff to shoot TRAP

13. dr.longshot

I would like to squad with Dave Berlet, Brad Dysinger, Willie Anderson

GB..................................DLS

14. Erie1

Erie1 Member

Anyone but Dick Cheney! :D:D:D:eek:

LadyT likes this.
  15. Roger Coveleskie

I WOULD HAVE RATHER SHOT WITH DICK THAN RODE WITH TEDDY . ROGER C

wpt likes this.
  16. Erie1

Erie1 Member

You would shoot with Kaboom Dick Cheney? What if Dick was on the 27 and you were on the 25?

17. stevenson72

stevenson72 New Member

I would like to shoot with that McCarthy gal. :D:D:D:)

18. Roger Coveleskie

Erie1, A friend of mine was in that hunting party with Mr Cheney. The guy that was sprayed was at fault. he got ahead of the main line of hunters, he should not have been where he was. The press blew it out of proportion. Roger C.

19. green bead

green bead Active Member

An afternoon of shooting with Bogardus. Great name Bogardus. Latin I think for bong hog. And he liked glass balls. We had a different name for them in 70's. Cool guy that Bogardus.

bog.jpg
    bong2.jpg

20. tarpmaker

tarpmaker Well-Known Member

If I could pick a squad just grins and a good story it would be Neil, Doc, Big Don, and Brad.

wpt likes this.
  21. Welther

Welther Active Member

Doc>>>you sound interested! Even heart broken.

doc.jpg

22. Roger Coveleskie

Stevenson72, She is a real sweetheart is she not. She is one of my favorite people. Roger C.

wpt likes this.
  23. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

I had the pleasure of shooting the 200 events with History Buff, Terry Jordan, Bill Wylie, and Chris Vendel over the years.

Tough to choose one over the other, as they are all great shooters.

If I were to have these four on my squad, I can guarantee I would be the caboose.

dr.longshot likes this.
  24. dr.longshot

Green Bead: How were the Glass balls launched and to what distance could they be thrown?

GB.............................DLS

green bead likes this.
  25. green bead

green bead Active Member

They were smoking!

26. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

While there were a few different types of glass ball traps, the most widely used were the catapult and rotary traps. The first two ball traps mentioned in use in the USA were both simply an elastic band with ball cup strung between two posts. The first was used by Charles Portlock and the second by Ira Paine.

When Bogardus patented his trap in 1877, he went with a spring steel catapult type trap bolted to a piece of oak. There's one in the Trapshooting Hall of Fame and it was valued at $5,000.

BOGARDUS TRAP PATENT.jpg

I knew they didn't throw balls nearly as far as the rules for clay pigeons (50 yards) and there is not much mentioned about the distance and height glass balls were thrown. In fact, the only mention I'm aware of was by Bogardus himself. Here's what he wrote :

DISTANCE & HEIGHT, 1878 Bogardus Book pg380-381.jpg
    Here's a couple of scans from Bogardus' 1878 book.

PICTURE OF TRAPS, 1878 Bogardus Book pg459.jpg

PICTURE SHOOTING BALLS, 1878 Bogardus Book pg373.jpg

Enjoy Our History !

HB

dr.longshot and wpt like this.
  27. dr.longshot

HB:Close to the target settings of today, so easy and not competitive enough by Trap Standards of the 1950s, Fluff Targets is what ATA trap targets are today.

GB...................................DLS

28. Just Joe

Just Joe Administrator Staff Member

Good stuff HB! Thanks for the work! ;)

dr.longshot, wpt and History Seeker like this.
  29. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

History Buff,

We continue to learn the history of trap shooting from all the hard work and research you do.

Thanks ever so much for your contributions to this site, and the hobby of collecting trap shooting memorabilia YOU got me into.

Dave
    MINI-MU.jpg

dr.longshot likes this.
  30. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I am not sure the ball targets would be as fluff as todays flyers, maybe but I sort of doubt it being as they would not be as apt to fly (loft) as the targets with the new designs for stability do ... It would be very interesting to know all of the particulars compared to the disc design ... You have to hand it to some of them old guys, ( I am officially one of them ) for all of the innovative ideas even back then ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot likes this.