I am going to try a Winchester Model 12 again

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by dr.longshot, Sep 12, 2016.

1. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I hope to bring back some of my ability with a Model 12 I just acquired, and having a release trigger installed in the original trigger assy.

One advantage is it has a Money Maker Rib Extending back over the Reciever, and the front of the rib is down on the BBl to make it shoot higher. While I am waiting for my Trigger, I borrowed a release Trigger to start it in Training, the Model 12 and me of course.

This Model 12 was built in 1931, it is 10 years older than me, still tight, no signs of wear. It has what looks like a Bishop Trap Stock and Forearm, that is not checkered, I cut the stock to my 14"inch LOP w/Zero pitch.

If the Gun doesn't fit it won't hit. I do this to every Trap Gun I buy, that I am serious about, these are my measurements.

This Thursday night will be it's Honeymoon. It is not a Virgin but, close to it as it was a safe queen.

Yours in Sport
    Gary Bryant....................................Dr.longshot

2. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

There is no such thing as a Bad Model 12, just some better than others ... I have a bunch of them and a few release triggers (3) also in case someone needs to borrow a gun at a shoot because any body can shoot a Model 12 ... Pumping doubles just for kicks is fun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot likes this.
  3. wpt

Gary,
    I had Phillip (P&P) increase the POI by shimming the stock and then bending the tang bolt, I think he had to trim a little wood off of the top where the stock met the receiver also (can't tell for sure) ... They now shoot 70/30 and even got one that shoots 80/20 thanks to him ... I could change that more with an adjustable comb but the wood is to nice to cut, but you never know, you know ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

WPT I found a very very reasonable stock maker and am going to have another stock made next month, the Grip is very small, for a very small hand on my present stock.

GB..................................DLS

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member Founding Member

I recently found a 1937 model that was restored by Stu Wright several years ago. It had been a safe queen since.

Lotsa fun on Sporting true pairs. No real handicap, except when I forget to shuck it, or try to shuck the Blaser when switching guns. LOL

wpt and dr.longshot like this.
  6. dr.longshot

WPT: Mine shoots 80/20 withy the Money Maker Rib that goes over the receiver.
    My release should be here Monday or Tuesday.

GB.......................................DLS

7. wpt

Gary,
    You should of said something I think I have at least 3 release triggers for Model 12's around here some place ... The Spears release / pull is the best one of them all ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. wpt

Gary,
    There is no gun made that can't break targets and normally out shoot the person pulling the trigger ... They are only a tool for us to use as we pursue what we feel is perfection or close to it any way ... Confidence is a big factor and the more we shoot a certain or particular gun each persons confidence level should grow with it ... I shot a Model 12 for years, really do not know why I stopped other than I got a smoking deal on a Perazzi again, so it was off to the races one more time ... I think I made a mistake when I put the Model 12 in the safe but that was then and this is now ... I am going to go back to shooting my Model 12 again so just in case I get the urge to shoot registered again I will have the same level of confidence I had when I made the switch ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot likes this.
  9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member Founding Member

I don't believe there has been a trap gun made that is as easy pointing as a Model 12. When you shoot it your pointing the target with both hands. Even old Al Ljutic copied some of the dimensions for his mono. If I could find a release trigger for a southpaw to reset, I'd go back to shooting mine once more.

dr.longshot and wpt like this.
  10. wpt

The Model 12's swing like a natural extension of your body, that's for sure ... The older (pre 64's) all shot pretty flat unless they were modified to some extent ... I picked up a Perazzi (TM-1) that felt much like that to me also ... When I think of all the money I have spent of guns over the years, I can kick myself (used to be able to any way) , should of bought more ammo and kept on keeping on ...

Big Jack,
    Whats the difference for a lefty versus righty on the release triggers .? Would you be talking the release for the action ..? Tell me what you are looking for and I will check the ones I have and see if there is anything that will work for you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. transco

transco Member

What was the factory bore size of the m12's?

12. dr.longshot

Bore size was .724 for Model 12s

GB.................................DLS

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member Founding Member

The three I have mike .730". 1937, 1949, 1955 models, have original cones and chokes.

14. wpt

I would have to look in my book, but I seem to recall they were .725/ .730 , some had some ridiculous chokes like .046 restriction in the older models, later pre 64 models .036 (or close) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

All of my model 12`s ( three ) mike .730. All are late 20`s. My 32 inch full is my favorite trap gun. Just crushes targets !!!

16. wpt

I just checked my booklet, have 5 that are .730, all the others are between .725 and .730, there are a few I have not measured yet, have no idea why not ... I must of got busy with something other than and forgot to get back to them ... Good project for today ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

Did You Know . . . . . . . .

Before Winchester stamped the gun barrel Model 12, they were in fact called the Model 1912.

A Model 1912 won the 1958 Grand American Handicap. Emerson Clark from Preston, Ontario, Canada won the shoot-off of 99's to become the first Canadian to win the GAH (actually, Howard D. Bates, of Ridgetown, Ontario was the first Canadian to win this title back in 1899, killing 25 live pigeons without a tie).

The safety mechanism on Mr. Clark's gun was actually converted to permit use as a "pull" or "release" trigger.

Model 1912, S.R., 10JAN1914.jpg

Enjoy Our History !

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  18. wpt

I did know they were originally Model 1912, then changed to Model 12 at a later date ... Reggie Jacamowski (sorry for the spelling ) shot 100 straight from the 27 yard line with his modified trap 1912 Model 12 (Blondie) at the Grand in Vandalia, Ohio ... I watched him shoot all 100 and there was one that was not reduced to a ball of smoke ... His trigger guard was engraved with "Never give up" in Polish ( I think ) .and he never did ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot and HistoryBuff like this.
  19. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

wpt,

Appreciate your bit of history and with your permission I'd like to add your above story to my Reg Jachimowski file. Reggie didn't think he was hitting targets hard enough according to the below article. I had a few of those days when I wasn't happy with my breaks only to have fellow squad members tell me how I was smoking them. I still don't know what they were seeing.

The year was 1978.

1978, 100-Straight at GAH.jpg

Here's Reggie making some history of his own !

GUNS MAGAZINE, Jachimowski Breaks 1,306.jpg

Enjoy Our History !

dr.longshot and wpt like this.
  20. wpt

I watched intently as he did the same exact thing time after time as he was getting ready for his turn ... If he hit the target on any one side or the other it was smoke, must of had some chokes in that old Model 12 , funny but I didn't get bored watching him shoot ... I shot many Calcutta's in West Chicago (Park District) where Reggie and Butch Reichoff (partners) would show up and usually be in the money ... Its was those days that were the attraction to trap shooting for me ... I'm not sure what happened to him after winning the Grand, just kind of faded away except at an occasional Calcutta ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot likes this.
  21. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Active Member Founding Member

HB,

I shoot with Ken Donat. When his dad won the Grand, he shot his father in laws Model 12 that he borrowed. Ken said that years later when the boys would get together to shoot and such, Pete was still a tough shooter. Ken still has the Winchester and a copy of the check along with some other memorabilia.

FYI

wpt likes this.
  22. wpt

HB,
    You can use anything I ever post, just please do not use it against me ... You the MAN ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

23. HistoryBuff

Rob Taylor,

Thanks for sharing this bit of history with our reader friends. The year was 1949, the same year I was born. Not only was it a borrowed Model 12, but it was a field grade according to articles I've read. He had to share the total money with others but he still took home $5,281.25 for less than an hours fun.

1949, GOLDEN GRAND A SUCCESS, S.R., 10SEP1949p235.jpg

Enjoy Our History !

24. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

History Buff, Do you have anything on the Mod. 12's that Herb Orre was able to assemble from all of the left over parts that he bought from Win.? They are all marked with his name. They should be collectors items by now. Roger C.

25. wpt

WOW, that is some serious shooting back then ... Great information as usual ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

26. HistoryBuff

More about Mr. Donat :

1949, OHIO FARMER TAKES GRAND PRIZE2, AUG 27.jpg

1949, OHIOAN IS TRAPSHOOT CHAMPION2, AUG 27.jpg

I don't think so Roger but I will look.

Enjoy Our History !

27. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Wowser HB. Great post. All very interesting.

One thing that caught my eye was the note of the 1949 GAH. A whopping 1758 shooters. We sure have come a long way in 65 or so years. That 1949 field had the same amount they had this year. Our ATA leaders have much to be proud of. :rolleyes:

Also interesting was the fact that the winner was a weekend warrior. He only shot the GAH. No more of those weekend warriors.