1. Mongo89

Mongo89 Charlie Kelly

Why do some trap shooters feel it is totally acceptable to leave their hulls on the ground when shooting practice. I can understand during competition. But when you go up to a practice trap that the group in front of you just picked up their and threw away then the next group just leaves them lay after their round and walk away. Why?

2. Clipperite

Clipperite Active Member

Some places love it when you leave the hulls on the ground. They sell them. Money sometimes goes to the youth teams.

Go to Vienna OH and there is a sign saying not to throw the hulls on the ground. The help is too old to pick them up.

Great question tho.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Please throw all your STS's on the ground. Your gun club will love you!

4. Larry

Larry Mega Poster Founding Member

Some folks are just slobs, some just do not know any better. One local idiot thinks its cool to break open the gun and let the hull fly over his shoulder and hit the ground. He also dislikes dogs, does not tip waitresses and smokes while shooting...... Larry

PumpgunBob likes this.
  5. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I am a dedicated Hull Picker Upper of those STS, Gun Club, AA, and Top Gun Hulls, because I Re-load them, I am also a dumpster diver picking out STS , Nitro 27 and
    Gun Club hulls.

Be sure to look inside of them, some have been actually Sabotaged with foreign Material, like a Dime, which can cause Guns to Blow up Bbls.
    See my thread under Reloading.

GB..........................DLS

sabcon likes this.
  6. k4wma

k4wma New Member

Perhaps I've been at this too long...... One of the first things my grampa taught me after basic and advanced gun safety was that if a hull hits the ground on a trap field, there it stays. With his guidance, I immediately formed the habit of catching my cases. Though I haven't reloaded a shell in over 40 years, I still catch the cases and offer them up to those who do. Do the clubs no longer derive income from the sale of good used hulls? I still live by Gramps' guidance. If it hits the ground, there it will lay 'til the end of the day. (And yes, I still help to police up the range if I am there at the conclusion of the day's shooting.)

Larry likes this.
  7. Larry

Larry Mega Poster Founding Member

Too few of today's people remember what Grandpa or Dad taught them, in many many cases they might not even know who Grandpa and Dad might be.
    On your comment about clubs making a bit of money off of the hulls its been my observation that two things have taken place. The first is that the majority of hulls hitting the ground or going into the barrels are the less desirable forms of shot shells. Although reloadable when the Mart stores sell ammo for $5 or so many shoot the cheap and bypass loading which brings up the second observation...... many simply do not reload any more. Reloading of shot shells and hunting ammunition was a way of life when I grew up, Dad and Grandpa and all the Uncles had a ready source of empty "stuff" that needed powder, shot or bullets stuffed in them and I was just the one to do it. Last night a young man at the gun club ask me if I would explain and demonstrate "reloading" to him. He will be here Saturday and I will do my best to corrupt him. Perhaps that might even be a "hook" to get young to start shooting more?? Have the club put on a "reloading class" for folks??? Larry

k4wma likes this.
  8. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I shoot all new shells, usually ask if they want them or not ... If they have a box there I throw them in the box, if not I leave a neat little pile at each post ... I do not have a bag to put them in and only use the shell box type carrier ... I had a guy ask me to save the shells for him and that he would buy them from me for .03 each, after shooting all summer he came for the winter and asked if I saved him some shells , told him I had 7,000 and he choked and laughed said he only wanted 1,000 ... I sold him the 1,000 and gave the rest to the pullers to sell to other shooters ... I do not save shells for anyone anymore, not worth having them sit around the garage and take up space ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Larry and dr.longshot like this.