How far do you travel?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Laserwizard, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Active Member Founding Member

Regarding registered shoots (strictly ATA for clarification) my buddies and me travel a circle that spreads from Bradford, PA to the east, Brooke County in West Virginia to the south, as far west as Williams County Gun Club by Montpelier, Ohio and north to Dundee Gun Club in Michigan with the longest trip being about 3hrs 15 minutes one way (Williams County). Bay City, Knox, North Lawrence, Monroe, Sportsmans and Cardinal, and a few now defunct clubs like Airport and Jaquas were within this circle.

These are all day trips I'm referring to. Leave early in the morning and home in the evening. The average drive one way would be around 1hr 30 minutes.

Just curious how far some others are travelling to shoot ATA.

2. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

Furthest was Boone NC. This Spring it will be Nashville TN Gun Club. From NW Ohio.

3. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Active Member Founding Member

Shot Nashville twice. In-laws live an hour from there. Great facility. Background isnt as good as Cardinal, but they are a great club and very friendly. You'll have a good time!!

4. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

Looking forward to it. Youngest son lives in Clarksville.

5. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Most of my trips when shooting regularly was approx. the same, then the last 5 years an Hour was average, last week I moved closr, now it is approx. a 10 minute drive, a lot of gas savings.
    Dr.longshot

6. Don't Ban Me Bro

Don't Ban Me Bro Active Member

Farthest was 839 miles to the Grand in Vandalia.

Sparta is only a 664 mile drive now.

Smokintom likes this.
  7. Jim R

Jim R Guest

Every September My wife and I would drive up to Terrace British Columbia for a PITA shoot. It was about 1100 miles from our house to the club up there. What a great drive. We would always see Big Horn sheep, deer, elk, black bears and a couple of times even a moose. At that time of the year the streams were all full of spawning salmon.

The shoot was as good as the drive. Big Prime Rib dinner on Saturday night and then a great Calcutta auction. Last time we were there I think there was just about 50 shooters and there was over $25,000.00 in the cal. Sure miss that shoot.

8. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

For a day or weekend I like to keep it around 2 hrs each way. For a larger shoot I will drive or fly all day.

9. oldphart

oldphart Mega Poster Founding Member

Longest was Sparta, 14 hrs one way, only go about once every 3 years now.

10. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Member Founding Member

For a one day shoot, about 3.5 hours each way is the max. I don't drive that far alone. Normally, within an hour.

11. alf174

alf174 Mega Poster Founding Member

Se Michigan to Cardinal Center (previously Vandalia) is about as far as I care to drive to and return in one day.

12. Leonidas

Leonidas Mega Poster Founding Member

45, 85,90 and 150 miles one way for the four regular clubs I go to for monthly shoots.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

1,097 miles to the Silver Dollar in FL. I drove it at one time but now send princess down with the van while I fly. The old back says no way.

515 miles to Vandalia but I don't need to plan for that one anymore!

14. Ljutic41

Ljutic41 Member Founding Member

Wife and me are headed to the Colorado State PITA shoot this year if things work out schedule wise for us. That is 1300 miles from my front door.

Jim R