HOF trustees how much money was transferred to you?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by dr.longshot, Jul 27, 2015.

1. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

How much was the amount you received from the ATA was it $250,000 dollars or was it $254,900 , any knowledgable HOF Trustee may respond to this question.

Gary Bryant Dr.longshot

2. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

Did anyone ask Delegate Lew?

LOL

3. N1H1

N1H1 Mega Poster Founding Member

$250,000. It's in the December EC meeting's minutes.

N1H1

4. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

ATA Minutes says $254,900 was xferred, what happened to $4900.00?

GB DLS

5. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

Did you ask him?

6. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

I can't find where he is actually a Delegate.
    Maybe he will become the Interim Delegate after the coupe.
    At least until new elections can be held.

These may prove to be exciting times for the ATA.

7. Michael McGee

Michael McGee Mega Poster Founding Member

Maybe tranfer fee's?

8. Bat

Bat Mega Poster

According to the minutes it was $250,000. The other number being thrown around here is a result of someone's lack of reading comprehension.

9. dr.longshot

If you look at Lines 244-245 in Dec 2014 ATA Minutes, says Contributions were up from $700 in 2013. to 254,900
    due to the $250,000 dollars to the HOF, where did that extra $4200.00 go, if not to the HOF?

GB DLS

10. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

Have you asked your delegate where he will vote to move the Grand if Sparta closes?

11. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

When I spoke with my delegate he was of the mind that sparta wasn't going to close. After the coupe perhaps our new delegate will have a different answer.

12. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

[​IMG]

O.K., I guess.

Wishbone likes this.
  13. N1H1

Longshot:

"If you look at Lines 244-245 in Dec 2014 ATA Minutes, says Contributions were up from $700 in 2013. to 254,900
    due to the $250,000 dollars to the HOF, where did that extra $4200.00 go, if not to the HOF?"

The ATA often gives to local charities, just as other businesses do. This is no evidence at all that the Trapshooting Hall of Fame got more than $250,000. The minutes say it got $250,000. That's what it got.

N1H1

14. jhunts

jhunts Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Gary,

If you cannot find where the donations were made and the ATA does not provide the information when asked, I believe your delegate has the right as a BOD to view all the financial paperwork. I would ask your delegate.

Presumably as I believe it is required, it (the money) went to entities promoting/enhancing the promotion of and furthering the activities involving trapshooting.

Form 990's only show monies given in excess of $5,000. Below is from ATA 2014 990.

upload_2015-7-27_22-20-29.png

From THOF 2014 990.

upload_2015-7-27_22-25-50.png

I could be wrong.

Shoot well.

John

HistoryBuff likes this.
  15. N1H1

" I believe your delegate has the right as a BOD to view all the financial paperwork."

No. I think it's covered in the articles of incorporation. It is very clearly spelled out and a bit more work than that, but not impossible.

N1H1

16. N1H1

If you want to look it up, find a copy of the Articles of Incorporation and look for text beginning "No person shall have the right to view any record, document, or paper except . . ." or words to that effect.

N1H1

17. N1H1

Here it is...Articles of Incorporation, 11

"In furtherance, and not in limitation of powers conferred by statute, the Board of directors is expressly authorized to

(c) from time to time determine whether and to what extent, and at what times and places, and under what conditions or regulations, the accounts and book of this corporation, or any of them, shall be open to inspection of Members; and no Member shall have any right of inspecting any account, book, or document of this corporation except as conferred by statute, unless authorized by a resolution of the Members or Directors, and . . ."

This is basically the text from 1923 with a couple of additions and wording changes I think I see. It was, in fact tested by a Delegate who wanted to see a specific number 20 or so years ago and no authorizing resolution was passed in that case.

N1H1

18. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

Well, let's first identify the corporate actor.

For decades, the ATA was incorporated as the AMATEUR TRAPSHOOTING ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA. The ATAA was incorporated in Delaware on 1/9/1923 and became registered in Illinois as a foreign corporation on 8/26/2004.

Prior to moving to Sparta, the ATA reincorporated itself as the AMATEUR TRAPSHOOTING ASSOCIATION as a domestic Illinois corporation on 11/29/2004, .

Be sure you're looking at the correct corporate entity.

To prevent fraud, and because they have personal liability for the actions of companies, board members are given broad powers to examine the books of a company, and attempts to deny board members access to their company's books is seen as a "red flag."

19. jhunts

I guess maybe I am misunderstanding the following from the State of IL non-profit law.

upload_2015-7-28_9-49-24.png

I think "proper purpose" can have a wide berth of understanding.

Shoot well.

John

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    smoking357 likes this.
  20. jhunts

Of course by ATA's own bylaws detailed accounting shall be made available to the BOD's, I can't imagine a BOD being turned down when requested to see the happenings at any other time besides the 10 days prior. That would seem a little odd.

upload_2015-7-28_10-3-35.png

Shoot well.

John

21. dr.longshot

In 2013 there was only $700.00 spent on contributions, And in 2014 there was $254,900 in contributions, $250'000 to HOF
    and another $4900.00 which is under the $5,000 you have to report spending, what I want to know is where that $4900.00
    was spent on, is something being done Illeagally so it does not have to be reported?

We the membership and Life Members should know where OUR money is being spent, keeping it under $5,000 it does not need to be reported , I wonder since the ATA and ATAA is only one a 501(c3) non profit Inc.?

I would like a look at a copy of all the checks that have been written by the ATA, and to whom and for what?

Can Life Member ask to see the check book, or can he order an audit by the Internal Revenue Service on the 501(C3)
    when I think something is running afoul?

I think the Life Members should be brought back into Power, like it was before 1955, we had control of our destiny then.

Gary Bryant Dr.longshot

22. Bat

Bat Mega Poster

The ATA has made grants in varying amounts to gun clubs, youth programs etc. for years. Why can't you accept that?

23. jhunts

I believe so Gary, though it may have restrictions. On site, in front of their Lawyer, request in writing and if you go to court to see them provide "proper purpose", in which you may have to prove. Personally, I think you would get the right granted though it maybe at cost to you. I mean, if you are asking for a specific 4900 dollars, which is a relatively small amount, why would the association not tell you where that money went. For the association to go to court to hide the 4900 dollars to you would not make sense either.

Again, I would ask a delegate that was at annual meeting or the meeting in which "detailed records of receipts disbursement" were given to provided to them.

If that does not work, I think the next step would be to request it in writing to the ATA and start the process.

Shoot well.

John

History Seeker likes this.
  24. dr.longshot

I was a businessman for almost 30 years, running an HVAC/Refrigeration business, started out as a Sole Propietor, then Incorporated, I then turned the business over to my youngest son, who still runs it.

I have had IRS Audits, and never a problem with an Audit.

I can see what has happened to the ATA in it's business decisions, and some of them do not seem Kosher.

You can agree with me or disagree that is your perogative. The whole Sparta ATA location and HOF debacle stinks to hi heaven.

The HOF was offered a location free and clear ownership and a Substantial down payment for a bldg. for the HOF..I would bet a dollar to a donut they the HOF regret turning it down. Most of you know where that option was offered.

I wonder who the Trustees were that was against it? I know for a fact Hugh McKinley did not want it moved from Vandalia,
    Because he told me so at the last Grand In Vandalia be both attended.

My family on my Fathers side were a lot of Attorneys, and I heard their discussions on legalities.
    One of my uncles told me I should have been an Attorney, he said you got a good head on your shoulders, You understand most of the legal issues.

Gary Bryant Dr.longshot

25. dr.longshot

Yes they did and it was disclosed, This $4900.00 was not disclosed

GB DLS

26. Bat

Bat Mega Poster

Doc, it wasn't disclosed on the 990 because the IRS doesn't require non-profit organizations to jump through such administrative hoops for immaterial amounts. Don't read more into it. Maybe you can get a delegate to find out and he will tell you. Asking nicely might go a long way.

JHunts can get you the info from a couple of prior 990's, that might give you an idea of the nature of the larger grants' they have made. It's just that at some point you gotta stop leading with the accusation, and give it some thought first.

27. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

Bat

Off the cuff do you know of any previous donations that ATA or HOF made to the State of Illinois for over $2 million?

28. dr.longshot

Bat I will go along with donations to youth groups, but not Gun Clubs, Gun Clubs asked for help and were turned down, One Gun Club in West Virginia asked for help to lengthen their trap line for more Banks so they could handle the West Va. State shoot

GB DLS

29. jhunts

Gary,

OK received $15000 in the 2013 990.

Here is from the 2011 990.

upload_2015-7-28_11-49-6.png

Attached Files:

30. Bat

Bat Mega Poster

Butterfly, nope! Grants greater than $5,000 will be disclosed on the 990. If it ain't there, it wasn't a grant.

31. Bat

Bat Mega Poster

Thanks John, hopefully the Doc will see I'm not trying to feed him a bunch of BS, just trying to tell him what actually happened in the past. I'm not sure what he means when he says "he won't go along with... ", I'm just telling him the facts.

32. dr.longshot

I am talking ab0ut 2014 $4900 contribution, along w/$250,000 HOF contribution

GB DLS