Gipson's Folly - ATA paying to fix State Property? WSRC lease broke? Again?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by merlo, May 26, 2017.

1. merlo

merlo Mega Poster Forum Reporter

Has the IDNR broken the agreement with the ATA again? At the executive meeting in December, President Burke questioned Gipson as to whether the IDNR was going to do the maintenance that needed done at the WSRC.

Gipson's response - "The roads will be repaired in the spring, and all issues the other issues and problems discussed in that meeting are being addressed by the IDNR." line 75 minutes exec meeting Dec. 2016

Reports out of the WSRC are that Gipson has crews from the ATA working on repairing state property. The funds are coming from the ATA.

I report. You decide.

Merlo out

dr.longshot and wpt like this.
  2. Gerald

Gerald Mega Poster Founding Member

I don't see why the concern.
    Since the ATA is headed in this "Fantastic Direction" it shouldn't be a problem to get dozens of volunteers to show up at the gate with their picks, shovels, weed whackers, axes, gallons of mold killer, and whatever else needed.
    They can pass the hat for donations for a truck of Asphalt for the roads. Maybe someone can bring concrete leveling equip. for the leaning trap houses?
    RIGHT ?

Regards....Gerald

3. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

This lease, any lease if there even is a lease, is not worth the papers its written on with the State of Illinois ... The ATA is desperate for a place to hold the grand which is what prompted the move to Sparta in the first place ... The ATA would be better off the sub let the shoot to any club that could host the shoot and the ATA get a percentage of the total numbers ... There would probably be more shooters any place other than Sparta and all the ATA would have to do is count the money ... They would of course lose all of the Sparta residents (3 or 4 ) that made up the difference of the shooters they lost from the east ... The State of Illinois just raised the taxes to the tune of 5.7 billion on the States residents and business's, while cutting back services ... (per the States web site ) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot likes this.
  4. Win101

Win101 Mega Poster

I was there last weekend for the SCTP Midwest Regional.
    The grass and weeds were mowed and the place looked good!
    Cardinal Lane was still in bad shape.
    Only saw one vendor open and restaurant was open.
    Didn't have time to check for leaning/ sinking traphouses but going next weekend for the US Open.

5. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

Thanks for the update Win101 !

6. wpt

The State of Illinois figured they needed 9 million dollars for repairs that were needed on the States recreational parks, that included many improvements at the facility (WSRC) in Sparta ... The State declared they had no money for needed repairs much less any improvements or repairs that were not needed to keep the parks operational ... The State does not as in "DOES NOT" have the money to upgrade or make repairs according to the State web site , the INDR site does not mention anything one way or the other ... It appears the State of Illinois is distancing itself from anything that could increase the deficit that is in the billions or will be in short order ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

The ata will SAY anything, DO anything, and PAY anything they think they have to, to keep that shoot in IL. alive.

wpt likes this.
  8. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

They should have had the " Do Not Resuscitate" sign on the front gate.

History Seeker and wpt like this.
  9. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

Perhaps they haven't found the right management team yet. Past management made promises that were quickly forgotten.
    Things That Didn't Happen1.jpg
    Things That Didn't Happen2.jpg
    Things That Didn't Happen3.jpg

Such a shame because it is a beautiful shooting facility. All the promises and then this happened.
    SITE CLOSED, Pete Spitler-Herald Tribune, 16JAN2016.jpg
    But thankfully the last minute agreement was reached and the Grand American was held.

Remember the members survey?

RELOCATION SURVEY BY MEMBERSHIP, ATA E.C. Minutes,09APR2003-1.jpg
    RELOCATION SURVEY BY MEMBERSHIP, ATA E.C. Minutes,09APR2003-2.jpg
    RELOCATION SURVEY BY MEMBERSHIP, ATA E.C. Minutes,09APR2003-3.jpg
    I've heard that history helps guide us into the future. I'm a big fan of history.

HB

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  10. wpt

HB,
    Once again you are the "Man", the above presentation that leaves little if anything to ones imagination ... There seems to be a ,lot of deception going on and lack of spreading the word regarding the State and its intentions when it comes to the WSRC (facility) in Sparta, Ill ... I have not really talked to as many people as I usually would in the past few months, but have not had anyone of the ones I have talked to say they will be attending the grand at any time in the future unless there are major changes, (the biggest one being location) ... The facility might and probably is a shooters haven but if the shooters refuse to go there for any reason its useless at best ... WPT ... (YAC) ...