Different performance by different primers?

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by rrisum, Apr 5, 2023.

1. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Very interesting small test by Down Range Manufacturing on Primers and their wads. From Down range Manufacturing.  Primers.jpg

2. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

it would be interesting to see it translated on a chart, just how much it effects the 'shot on target' at certain distances.
    otherwise, in all the decades of shooting, i have never seen a substantial difference actually shooting, at all.

3. MDavid

MDavid Mega Poster

Where did you find this? The results indicate to me that test with the Nobel Sport primer was with the old 686 prmier, not the 688. Nobel Sport claims that the new 688 is exactly the same as the Cheddite.

4. MDavid

MDavid Mega Poster

btw, I have used both the 686 and the 688 Nobel Sports and could understand those results with the 686, but since the 686 is discontinued it makes no sense to even test those primers. I reload 410 only and the NS 688 performs no different than the Win209. I have emailed Downrange for some clarification.

From another site:

"John Gilopidis <(mod/deleted)
    To : Ken
    Wed 6/8/2022 2:39 PM

Hi Ken

Sorry I haven’t been able to get you all the information. What I can tell you is that the NSI primer is the same as the Cheddite primer. They are the same group of companies. There is data available for Cheddite so you can use the exact same data for reloading. There is a slight difference between the 686 and 688. We don’t make the 686 anymore. The 688 is a little hotter than the 686. NS209 is the same as 688.
    Regards
    John

Eurosports LLCNobel Sport Italia
    3000 Joe Dimaggio Blvd, Unit 78
    Round Rock Texas 78665 USA
    p. 512 218 0912, f. 512 218 8473 "

5. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Recobs -- Our supplier of all our birds and reloading supplies had it posted when we picked up reloading supply last month.

MDavid likes this.
  6. MDavid

MDavid Mega Poster

For those that want to know, this is the response from Downrange regarding the Nobel Sport primers used in this test:

"These would have been with the 686 primer.

Kevin

On Sun, Apr 9, 2023, 11:18 AM Mark wrote:

Dear Sir,

I'm curious about the results of tests done at your facility regarding how different primers perform(see attached). For the test with the Nobel Sport primer, were these done with the older 686 or the newer 688 primer? Nobel Sport claims that the new 688 primer is very close, if not the same, as the Cheddite primer, so I was surprised to see such a difference in your tests. I appreciate your response.

Sincerely,

Mark"

Larry likes this.