Cardinal Youth Shooters SCTP

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by James344, Mar 31, 2016.

1. James344

James344 Well-Known Member

Wednesday night was the first meeting for the youth shooters at the CC. We are forming an SCTP team this year. Anyone who might be interested, or has kids or grandkids who might be, can come out next Thursday, April 7 for our first practice.

Austin Whited will be the head coach. There are 9 kids that we know of, but there is always room for more. Practices are scheduled for Thursdays from 5-7 or later, and Saturdays 10-12 or later.

PM me with questions and I'll try to answer as soon as I can, or contact Luke at the CC and he can answer questions as well.

I believe there is another meeting scheduled for one of the practice days.

Jim

wpt and PumpgunBob like this.
  2. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I believe James you are saying that a team is being formed at the Cardinal Center for an SCTP Team, and open to local area kids to join, which is located at State Route 61 and I-71. It is great that a team is being formed at the Cardinal Center in Ohio, to be more specific.

GB............................DLS

3. PumpgunBob

PumpgunBob Well-Known Member

Good luck! Hope you get lots of athletes!

History Seeker likes this.
  4. James344

Gary,
    That is correct. Last night was the first informational meeting. I don't think that the word was spread out in time to get a lot of kids involved, but if anybody knows of anyone that wants to try it, we'll be out there every Thursday night and Saturday morning through at least the State shoot, more than likely the Nationals.

To compete, however, athletes must participate in at a minimum of 6 team practices in order to participate in the team competitions.

PumpgunBob, thanks for the encouragement. This is the first year for a competing SCTP team there, so we're just starting to build. But with the size of the club, I know that it can expand.

5. PumpgunBob

Try to get the 501C3 tax exempt status then set up an account with Midway Foundation. Mr and Mrs Potterfield have lots to offer youth shooting teams. Check them out, you'll be glad you did.

6. James344

Actually, we have an account already. Dale Minyo ran a group last year, but there just weren't enough kids to form an SCTP team. I'm pretty sure Austin is working on getting the account transferred to his name.

7. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

PumpgunBob,
    Thank you for posting about the Midway Foundation and Mr. and Mrs. Potterfield! The Midway Foundation and the Potterfields have been extremely generous to any and all youth shooting teams that take the time to set up their account and participate. Most of the SCTP teams in our area have teamed up with the Midway Foundation to secure a great future for their team and shooting program. Mr. and Mrs. Potterfield have really gone to unbelievable lengths to help the youth shooting programs and I can't thank them enough for their generosity!

Don

8. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

I met Dale last year. Thanks to Dale for all he does with the youth.

9. ATA72

ATA72 Member

How many does it take to have a team?

10. James344

The number can be as small as 5, but if they're different ages they have to shoot as an "open" squad. So the more kids the better. Last year we only had between 3 and 5 regular shooters so we could never field a team.

This year is looking better, but we can always take more. We may have to "bump" a couple kids up a level to create a full squad, but I think they are good enough shooters it won't matter.

Again, we can always use more. The higher the number, the more we have to create squads.

11. James344

A reminder, first practice tonight.

12. James344

UPDATE
    We have nine kids involved. Five are high school age so we have a full Varsity squad. One of them is new to shooting, but seeing as the other four have multiple years experience, we have to bump the other him to varsity.

We have 4 that are considered Intermediate Entry. If anybody out there knows any kids 8th grade or younger, we'd be happy to get them. Of course, we'd take any age but another 8th grader will fill out our Intermediate Entry, especially if its his or her first time shooting.

There is a Regional SCTP shoot at the Cardinal Center this Saturday morning, so they would not be able to compete. But there's plenty of time until the State competition and the Nationals in July.

Practice every Thursday night beginning at 5:00, and then Saturday mornings beginning at 10:00 except when shoots are going on.

13. PumpgunBob

According to the SCTP website there are around 280 kids pre squadded for your shoot.
    Great turnout!
    Hope you get good weather!

14. James344

Me too. The last time I looked, there's a chance for storms throughout the day. We may be dodging rain drops.

15. Columbus

Columbus Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

What's the CC without wind and rain?

16. James344

That's true. If you're going to shoot out there before July, kind of need to pack for it.

17. PumpgunBob

Good luck today to all SCTP athletes today! Break em all!

dr.longshot likes this.
  18. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Have fun, be safe, break a bunch.

But remember, study too!

That way you won't end up like me working 70 hours a week when you are sixty four years old.

What I wouldn't give to be that age and just starting to shoot.

GOOD LUCK kids

19. PumpgunBob

Looks like there were 278 athletes at the regional at the Cardinal Center today.

Overall no 200 / 200 ,but 3 athletes posted 197/200. Great shooting and great turnout!

dr.longshot, wpt and Tom Machamer like this.
  20. PumpgunBob

If you want to see scores for yourself, here's how.

Go to the SCTP website next click on "Results".
    To the right of the page there will be a column with Nationals and right under it will be Regionals. Under that to finish the column will be all the states listed top to bottom, alphabetically.
    Click on "Regional"
    To the right will be the list of regional events. I believe the event is the last in the list
    Click on the event you want.
    You will then be able to see each team and their scores or squad or individual.
    The "Shot" system the SCTP uses is amazing and easy to check scores. No waiting for runners to post paper on the wall.

As a coach it's great for keeping up with scores of the competition as the shoot is going on.

dr.longshot and wpt like this.
  21. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

Go to the local schools and let the students know what you are doing. You may be surprised at the turn out. Roger C.

22. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Good job by all of the Coaches and kids involved, we need more of this for the sport to survive and prosper ... The ATA should support and promote it in a big way ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot likes this.
  23. James344

It was a lot of fun for my first time as a coach. Our kids had a great time and shot great. Cardinal Youth Shooters Intermediate Entry came away with team win. Great Job by our young shooters.

My son was one of the 197's. (Ryan Phillips). He ran his first 99 but shot over his 100th target when it got caught by a tail wind and dove when he fired. Has the longest run so he ended up with the High Gun Runner-up.

Gunner Hall had a great day with a 199. Came away with High Gun Overall and for Senior Varsity.

PumpgunBob, dr.longshot and wpt like this.