Cardinal Classic numbers?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by bpd20, Aug 22, 2022.

1. bpd20

bpd20 Well-Known Member Founding Member

What was attendance like at this years Classic? Were the entries in events up or down from previous years?
    Haven't seen any mention but my guess would be down as that seems to b the trend everywhere this year.
    Just curious about where our sport could be heading and worried.

2. lord maker

lord maker Mega Poster Founding Member

Down 19% for the weekend, and 34% for the shoot compared to last year. Normally I shoot most of the Classic this year just the Saturday singles with my buddies and left. At $77/100 (targets/ammo/fees) and it was over $100 in diesel round trip. Just not much fun for me.

Russel Foster likes this.
  3. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

Back when Leo won the HOA with his record score , there was about 1600 shooters at the Classic. This time round 900 competing for the HOA

4. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

Westy Hogans scheduled at the same time did not help attendance this year.

Go to the bottom of the winners page and there is a link to the attendance report.

5. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

At the ''Classic'' it seemed a lot of people left before shooting the last Handicaps?

6. bpd20

bpd20 Well-Known Member Founding Member

Sad to see the numbers dropping everywhere lately. Sign of the times I guess. When I think of all the farms i hunted in my youth that are all subdivisions now and all the trap clubs I shot at that are now gone in my area. Very few shooters showing up at the current clubs compared to just 10 years ago. Very few younger shooters show up too. Just sad.

debshouseboy and Russel Foster like this.
  7. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

I honestly believe both the Classic and Westy Hogan numbers would have been up had they not scheduled their shoots at the same time.

8. Past OSTA President Tim Hunsaker

Past OSTA President Tim Hunsaker Moderator Forum Reporter Forum Leader

I understand what point you are making and in looking at the numbers from both shoots, I did notice something interesting: Westy Hogan had one Ohio shooter and the Cardinal Classic had 110 shooters from Pennsylvania.

T Jordan, BIG PAPA and Eric R Munson like this.
  9. Justin L.

Justin L. Active Member

That seems pretty reasonable to me since the OH border is at least 5 hours from Elysburg and some PA shooters have about a 2 hour drive to the Cardinal Center (and longer than that to get to their own home grounds). If both were equal distances from me, I would pick the Cardinal Center, I always enjoyed shooting there.

Russel Foster likes this.
  10. MOE

MOE Mega Poster Founding Member

I agree, it does take a lot of the fun out of it!