All American Points and Earned Yardage

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by User 1, Oct 24, 2016.

1. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Why are "All American Points" treated SO MUCH different than "earned yardage" ??????

Why not "give" All American Points for 5 shooters or less, with ANY high score for a "winner" ?????? It makes as much sense as making a JOKE of the "ATA handicap system".

EVERY 1/2 yard "punch" gets AT LEAST 100 All American Points and a "pin" ..... It can't hurt the "Big Dogs", they would just have a bunch more "points".

The "ATA" would continue to "crash and burn", but at least the occupy the 27 shooters could brag about earning "ALL American Points", not JUST brag about "making the 27" with little to no effort.

2. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

User 1,
    I can't say that I disagree with the point you are trying make. I'm not sure what the eventual outcome will be from the latest change to the AA points system (allowing shoots with 450 combined entries to qualify for AA points). It would be great if the change was beneficial to the medium sized clubs with no impact on the smaller clubs, but I am fearful that will not be the case. I doubt that we will see any changes in the Men's AA team as a result of this. The top 30-40 shooters that compete for the Men's AA team work very hard at their craft and I don't see this change having any effect on them or their placement on the AA Team. Even if the ATA made the change that you suggest, most of the "occupy the 27" crowd wouldn't generate many AA points as they rarely ever come up with a winning score once they hit the 27! You are right on the money when you said the Big Dogs would just have a bunch more points.

Don

Just Joe likes this.
  3. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Maybe not ..... Lets use some "ATA logic" .....

Three shooters from a place like "Mississippi" now start shooting "registered targets" several days per week for "yardage" AND "points". It ONLY requires "high score" of the three to "win". So as they move back the total targets broken per hundred becomes moot. Once on the "27" a high score of 37/100 can earn All American Points if the other two can not break a better score.

Here is where the "ATA" will see they are now shooting many more "registered targets", so they are paying more in daily fees. More money for the "ATA" and happy shooters, a win-win ..... But wait, they could figure out they could acquire more All American Points than the "Big Dogs" doing this among themselves, and just "attend" other required shoots posting poor scores to be on the All American Teams. So now the "Big Dogs" have to shoot much more to protect the "All American Team Positions", now more money for the "ATA" in fees from the "Big Dogs" .....

And there you have some "ATA logic" on how to grow the sport .....

wpt and Just Joe like this.
  4. kirk

kirk Member

Got me thinking about a trip to Mississippi to compete with those three shooters.

wpt likes this.