1984 Browning BT99 vs 2014 Browning BT99

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Clays Forever, May 16, 2016.

1. Clays Forever

Clays Forever New Member

Which gun would be more reliable or which is the better gun? My son wants a BT. Does not care which but they are in my price range. Locally both years guns are available and each are in great shape. Like new. The older gun is a safe queen.

I was told the metal in the older receivers is inferior to the newer models but I also heard the new barrels are better. Could be I shouldn't care.

Are they the same triggers?

Both fit him the same. He thinks he likes the longer forearm.

2. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

The one big thing that would make me choose the 2014, would be the "short tang" for stock removal making cleaning and lubing the trigger "easier". The "long tang" trigger guard on the older BT's has a wood screw that is fitted into the wood at an angle, and after going in and out a few times it looks and fits poorly, and can make a sharp edge from the off angle. If you shoot a BT 99 in the rain the trigger can/will rust, making stock removal advantageous. If the rust gets bad enough it is hard to keep it from turning "orange" with very little moisture.

Now that "dumping hulls" is considered "bad manners", a 2014 BT 99 that would extract only would be a plus. The "factory" invector plus choke tubes are either good or bad, not much in the middle, with more bad than good. But there are many other "non-factory" invector plus choke tubes that are affordable and easy to find.

3. Sockeye

Sockeye Active Member Founding Member

Clays, if You are talking about the basic model, and not a grade 3, golden clays, or pigeon model. I like the older model BT-99's. Depending on conditions all being equal between the two models. The older guns had much better finishing on the wood and the metal IMHO. Not to mention they had a little engraving. Have heard the newer guns without the long screw through the forearm had some issues sometimes. On the older gun, make sure that the top lever is to the right of center, and that the groove cut in the end of the barrel that the locking lug fits into is not worn. New guns have choke tubes, older one may not, something to check on. 34" barrels swing better for Me, 32" barrels feel a little whippy. Separate barrel from reciever on older model gun, and check for galling on front edge of receiver, where barrel mates to it. Grease is recommended for some lubrication to prevent this. Older guns came with 2 types of forearms, beaver tail, and competition, I don't mind either, but some shooters may like one type, but not the other. Good luck with Your decision.

4. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I have a different opinion, there are 2 models of the later guns, one model shoots 70/30 and the other shoots 80/20, most/Most will want the 80/20 after they have shot for a while, also another fact is the new models recievers are Hard and is difficult to drill if not impossible, I know I bought one and gunsmith said receiver is too hard I cannot drill it for a release. I like the New Engraved style w/small Gold Browning Logo, about $1900. A little expensive but I like it better.

The 1970 Model RR & RT was a high shooter 80/20 and highly sought after models.

Yours in Sport
    Gary Bryant.....................................Dr.longshot

5. Clipperite

Clipperite Active Member

My RR shot 100 % + high.