Shot shell ?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by 635 G, Jan 6, 2024.

1. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

I shoot 1 oz of Nobel Low Recoil shells with # 81/2 shot @ 1200 FPS, with a DeVault 391 using a Mueller # 2 choke for singles

Will the above shot shell work @ 20 yd wobble trap with a Mueller # 3 choke

brown hat likes this.
  2. 10-point

10-point Active Member

It’ll work, but 8 1/2 shot wouldn’t be my preference.

3. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

In my opinion I wouldn’t use anything smaller than 8s.

4. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

I was told Roger Smith a late shooter from Kansas shot nothing but 1 oz of 8 1/2's he had a 99 average for 140K targets and was a 27 yd shooter

5. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

From a post I read years ago before Roger passed away. This was his explanation when asked about his reloads.

"I only loaded Federal papers for the caps and second shot of dubs with Federal 12C1 wads with 19.5 grains of Red Dot for a 1244 FPS average with them.  I loaded up 8 flats of them prior to selling both of my two 12 gauge Grands so that is all I have left of them when I shoot a sporting clay event for money and change to my 12 gauge.  I used Cheddite primers as they were easy to obtain and less expense and functioned great for me.

For singles and first shot of the dubs I loaded Estate plastic as they were a non expense item as guys gave them to me that did not reload.  Used the Italian Gualandi wad (use it now in all my 20 gauge loads) H22 with 18.3 grains of Red Dot, 8 and 8 1/2 shot for a 1193 FPS average.  I only have 3 flats of them remaining for sporting clays.  Cheddite primers also in the Estate’s."

Double Trouble likes this.
  6. shortbarrel

shortbarrel Active Member

Great information, well done.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Probably not.

8. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

How about using a B&P shell 1 oz of 71/2 @ 1300FFPS for the 20 yd wobble ?

9. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

If that's what you have, they'll break most targets.
    I'd move up to 1 1/8oz of #8's for 20 yard targets, though.

10. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

I've had spinal fusion L1-S1, a hip replacement & a torn rotator cuff, this why I'm shooting 1 oz loads and my old auto-loader, can't lift my Infinity and control its super fast trigger

mudpack likes this.
  11. mudpack

Have you tried the Light Target loads offered by many ammo manufacturers? These 1145fps/1.125oz loads are quite soft shooting, probably as soft as your 1oz/1200fps loads.

Spanky likes this.
  12. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

I tried a Noble 11/8 @ 1145 with 8/12 the only difference was in the hits the 11/8 made the target smoke & the 1 oz made them disappear

13. mudpack

Not even any smoke with the 'disappearing' clays?
    Those WERE some magical shells.

Assuming you meant "8/12" to be "8 1/2"-sized shot, 1 1/8oz of the smaller shot would make the targets not only 'disappear', but probably make the next target out of the machine too scared to do so.

14. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Well I won the first round of our league using 1 oz 81/2 for singles and 1 oz 71/2 @ 1300 fps for 20 yd wobble

Spanky likes this.
  15. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

bravo!