Shooting to resume at Sparta!

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Leonidas, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Leonidas

Leonidas Mega Poster Founding Member

From the ATA

Shots heard round the World! For the first time since September 30, 2015, shooting has resumed at the WSRC starting with a Glock Tournament. Trap league and youth trapshooting practice sessions are set to begin on April 14, 2016, and the next registered shoot will be an AIM and SIYSSA event on April 23, 2016! And other events are being scheduled as we speak!

Well done ATA, well done.

jb63 and PumpgunBob like this.
  2. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

1. Illinois DNR
    1. Recreation
    1. World Shooting Recreational Complex
    World Shooting and Recreational Complex
    Page Image
    [​IMG]
    Page Content
    The World Shooting and Recreational Complex is currently working with organized groups to utilize the shooting aspect of the facility. At this time, only organized groups that have signed an agreement with the WSRC will be able to shoot. If you are interested in hosting an organized event, whether it have a shooting component or not, please contact our main office. Please call (618)295-2700, Monday-Friday, from 8:00a – 4:00p. As events are approved, they will be listed on our website calendar. Thank you all for your continued support of the WSRC.

This from the ILDNR website April 4 2016.

Looks loke the Grand will be in Sparta after all.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Sounds like an "organized group" is either 3 shooters looking for a "special event" to just get in some targets or a bachelor party!

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member Founding Member

You must admit, it's a step. Even a three shooter bachelor party would be a start.
    As I have said before, only time will tell where we go from here!

5. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

12:14 PM

From the IDNR / WSRC :

"Until further notice there is no shooting available on site."

I called the IDNR to confirm what the OP. What would the IDNR know about their own facility?

12:51 PM double checking via direct call to IDNR Monica Brackman.

As per Monica Brackman, there have been no agreements between the ATA and the IDNR beyond the MOU

6. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

The crowds are dancing in the streets in Sparta, its like a parade with all 4 of them in attendance ... 11 days and counting until the big day 04-15-16 (tax day isn't it ..? ) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

Bill Tax day has been extended to the 18th due to the 15th being on Friday.

wpt likes this.
  8. oleolliedawg

Complete with strippers-again?

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member Founding Member

Strippers...where?

10. wpt

10 days and counting ... The suspense is building as the negotiations will soon begin, the "Glock " guy will be removed from the grounds so he don't get in the way of progress ... Get out the "Welcome shooters " signs and let the game begin ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. wpt

To date according to those who would know, there has not been a shot fired at the facility ... Verified via phone and e mail ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. theloudone

theloudone Guest

13. oleolliedawg

I still believe more than 7 shooters will be attending the Grand in August-but then again-maybe not. I'd say there's more profit in a bachelor party complete with strippers than a 7 shooter pistol shoot. Maybe that's the fantastic direction we keep hearing about!

14. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

oleoliedawg,

I think there were 67 shooters there. Not enough to pay the light bill, but I guess it is a start. I do not think the ATA had anything to do with the event. If there is a Grand at Sparta, I wonder what the financial costs to the ATA will be. We as ATA members will probably never know the true costs that the organization will incur. Roger C.

15. theloudone

theloudone Guest

Dawg,

There are 14 pages of results, you just need to scroll down.

16. oleolliedawg

As the late Gilda Radner often said "never mind"!

17. wpt

Must be a new category, trap with a "Glock", shot as in shot gun shell ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. jb63

jb63 Active Member

wpt, ya think ya better call the IDNR and tell them people are shooting at Sparta ?
    Seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing up there.:)

19. wpt

Randolph County
    ATA director: Tentative agreement could keep Grand American at Sparta's shooting complex
    [​IMG]

World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Sparta.

Lynn Gipson, executive director of the Amateur Trapshooting Association, said a tentative agreement has been reached with the State of Illinois that should keep The Grand American, the largest trapshooting event in the world, at Sparta’s World Shooting and Recreational Complex.

RELATED
    +3
    Budget impasse has ATA shopping Grand American
    It’s official, the Amateur Trapshooting Association has initiated a process that would take …

The venue has been mothballed since September as the result of Illinois’s budget impasse.

Earlier this fall the ATA told the state it needed to know by Dec. 15 if the WSRC would be open this summer. If that deadline wasn’t reached, the ATA would be forced to seek an alternate venue for this year’s Grand American.

Gipson said a basic framework has been agreed upon. He said details are expected to be released in a formal announcement at 3 p.m. Friday at the WSRC Events Center.

"Glock " is having their shoot there, the same "Glock that some Moron from the ATA wanted removed from the grounds so they don't mess up a shoot that is not on the schedule as of yet, but soon might be ... They better start negotiating for 2017 and not waste any more time waiting for the hammer to fall ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. wpt

FEATURED
    World Shooting and Recreational Complex reopens to shooters, with limits
    Shooting portion of facility reopens for organized groups and events
    [​IMG]

World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Sparta.

SPARTA — For the first time in nearly seven months, the World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Sparta is holding shooting events.

The facility was closed in September by Gov. Bruce Rauner as the result of the state's budget impasse. The first shooting event was Saturday.

Chris Young, a spokesman for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, was quick to point out this isn’t a total reopening of the facility. The shooting areas are being reopened on a limited basis.

RELATED

Grand American staying in Sparta
    SPARTA — The Grand American isn't going anywhere. At least not this year.

“At this time, the World Shooting and Recreational Complex is allowing organized groups and events to use the shooting portion of the facility,” Young said in a Monday email. “Organized groups that have signed an agreement with the WSRC will be able to shoot.”

The limited reopening has been in the works for some time.

“The decision to reopen the WSRC for shooting events came as a part of ongoing negotiations between the Amateur Trapshooting Association and IDNR,” said Rep. Jerry Costello, D-Smithton. “As you know, the ATA announced in January that they had signed a memorandum of understanding with IDNR to keep the Grand American in Sparta for 2016, with details to be announced following the April 15 deadline that the memorandum of understanding set.

The memorandum of understanding provided the impetus for IDNR to work toward reopening the shooting aspect of the facility for organized events.

The Grand American generates $10 million to $12 million for Southern Illinois.

The Scholastic Clay Target Program has already announced it will be moving its collegiate shoot to Ohio this summer.

“I think they felt, there are certain things if you lose, you don’t get back,” said state Sen. Dave Luechtefeld, R-Okawville. “I think it convinced the governor that this is one of those facilities that is huge for the area. If you leave it closed all year, you may not get it back. It’s not like it is temporary, it would be long-lasting. The ATA agreed they would keep it running until the state got a budget.

“We convinced the governor, I talked to the (IDNR) director (Wayne Rosenthal) about this. He agreed it’s not something you put on hold and when you reopen it is the same as it was before. That’s not the case. He agreed that the ATA will run that for a period of time.”

RELATED
    ATA director: Tentative agreement could keep Grand American at Sparta's shooting complex
    Lynn Gipson, executive director of the Amateur Trapshooting Association, said a tentative ag…

The reopening, even a limited one, is welcome news in Sparta.

“Absolutely,” said Sparta City Manager Corey Rheinecker. “It will be wonderful to get that as a draw again, to get the interest sparked again in the area. We haven’t really seen it directly with the sales tax yet, but moving into June and July if the shooting events aren’t open and bringing people to the area we’ll see a direct impact.”

The city had been keeping a wary eye on the WSRC, particularly the defection of the SCTP shoot.

“That’s always a concern,” Rheinecker said. “After this summer we’re worried this will have a repeat of last year. We’re moving close to nine months without the budget. It’s a huge concern to us. Sparta does have a pretty good investment out there. If it pulls away, we’re still left with our investment.”

Those interested in hosting an organized event should call 618-295-2700 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Wow, check out that crowd , must be a hunnert people there is there is one ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

21. wpt

(1) comment
    [​IMG]
    John Burch Apr 5, 2016 9:00pm
    Rep. Brandon Phelps did everything he could to keep the Sparta complex open in SB 836. He snuck his bill through the statehouse on the last day of May in 2015, hoping that NRA members won't figure out that SB 836 has gun seizure language supplied by the Illinois State Police:

"If a licensee carrying a firearm or a non-resident carrying a firearm in a vehicle under subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act is contacted by a law enforcement officer or emergency services personnel, the law enforcement officer or emergency services personnel may secure the firearm or direct that it be secured during the duration of the contact if the law enforcement officer or emergency services personnel determines that it is necessary for the safety of any person present, including the law enforcement officer or emergency services personnel. The licensee or nonresident shall submit to the order to secure the firearm. When the law enforcement officer or emergency services personnel have determined that the licensee or non-resident is not a threat to the safety of any person present, including the law enforcement officer or emergency services personnel, and if the licensee or non-resident is physically and mentally capable of possessing the firearm, the law enforcement officer or emergency services personnel shall return the firearm to the licensee or non-resident before releasing him or her from the scene and breaking contact."

The State Police were refusing to allow gun sales at Sparta, so Phelps and NRA lobbyist Todd Vandermyde traded off the lives of gun owners. They wanted to be able to sell a few shotguns at Sparta to pump up the local economy. So what if cops can now seize guns from armed citizens and shoot them "accidentally" while disarming them for "officer safety?" Brought to you by Brandon Phelps and Todd Vandermyde, the team that put Duty to Inform in the 2013 carry bill. These two are the "pro-gun" guys?

The State Police were refusing to allow gun sales at Sparta, so Phelps and NRA lobbyist Todd Vandermyde traded off the lives of gun owners ..? This will fare well with the vendors, no doubt ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

22. Gerald

Gerald Mega Poster Founding Member

I wish them well.

Beautiful shots of the complex, however, I'm not a big fan of combo fields. (No disrespect intended)

Regards....Gerald

23. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

I wonder what the financial obligations to the ATA amount to? Also if the members will ever see the true costs of the agreement. Roger C.

Michael McGee likes this.
  24. wpt

Its going to cost them a lung, plus tax and a bag of chips ... That much you can bet on ... The State cannot and will not be responsible or liable for any fees or charges for the term of any rental or short term lease ... This goes without saying based on the financial situation that exists and is ongoing within the State ... Mucho , mucho, mucho , I don't speak spanish but adios MOFO, thats for sure ... I am waiting for a response from IDNR and Monica so far nothing, nada ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

25. wpt

Sent a request to IDNR, WSRC, to date no response affirming any shoots at this present time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

26. wpt

The folks in Illinois must be getting a deluge of E Mail requests and they are probably getting answered in the order they were received being as mine have not been answered yet ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

27. wpt

The ATA has what initially was a lease agreement that was extended from 10 years to 20 years, under the terms of said agreement the IDNR collected $3 per entry which was additional to the fees collected for targets, trophy's etc ... This agreement has cost the State of Illinois over $23 million dollars in loses added to the State deficit in 11 years ... The State will not and can not be held to any agreement that costs the State additional amounts of money and would be vacated in any Court in the Land if it were pursued from a legal perspective ... The facility is deteriorating and needs extensive repairs and renovation besides the issues of Mold in certain areas that could cause health problems for some people, the State or Local Health Dept could or should "RED Tag" the facility until remedies have been put in place to eliminate possible threat to patrons ... If the threat goes unchecked and exists it should be posted to notify any and all people that there is possible or probable cause to be concerned for their welfare that could be caused by these Mold issues ... (under normal conditions the building should be RED TAGGED ) , but we are talking Sparta and the ATA here ... The ATA could be putting the Association at risk and subjecting itself to legal actions (recourse) if there were to be health issues and they had signed off on a waiver (if that is even legal) to accept all liability and responsibility there by exempting the State of Illinois from any legal actions ... This is not and cannot get better if safety issues are not addressed by one of or more of the Principles involved ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Reposted from another thread 04-14-16

28. theloudone

theloudone Guest

WPT,

Have you ever heard the term "blacklisted"? Why in the world would they respond to you? You have admitted time and time again you would never shoot at the facility. You spend an unhealthy amount of time trying to disparage anything and everything to do with the facility. Maybe, could, should be a reason not to respond.....just saying.

wpt and PumpgunBob like this.
  29. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Say it aint so. WPT has been put on the elitist of all lists. First the probation list and then secret probation. I know he feared more and we soon heard about the double secret probation list.

Now WPT is on the dreaded "Black List." Once WPT gets on the lists - - we are soon to follow.

WPT....you wont hang alone. We can swing together.

black.jpg

Ken Cerney and wpt like this.
  30. PumpgunBob

PumpgunBob Well-Known Member

Just to add insult to injury, the SCTP announced today that pending the WSRC reopening there is a SCTP Midwest Regional shoot scheduled for weekend of May 21.
    Registration will be open May 1 on the SCTP " shot system"

31. wpt

Loudone,
    Speaking the truth should never be held against a person , nothing I say is fabricated or made up to increase the drama ... I 'am honest man and will never (EVER) shoot at the facility though I might stop by if its still there to see some friends if any of them have a change of heart and decide to go back (which is doubtful) but you never know you know ..? Tell it like it is and no body can call you a liar nor will you have to have a good memory if nothing even changes ... Do not ask me if you don't want to know, because I will tell you ... I am a leader, not a follower, never will be a sheeple ... If that bothers people, that's their problem ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Tomorrow is the big day, mark your calendars .....(04-15-16)

32. Ken Cerney

Tomorrow is the big day, mark your calendars .....(04-15-16)

I'm not holding my breath on this.

wpt likes this.
  33. wpt

loudone,
    Thanks for the up dated information about my being "Black Listed" , I will mark my calendar with another one of those little guys with the smile on his face to commemorate the event as I have with the others ... You must have some inside information based on your vast knowledge, but I will make some phone calls to confirm when and if it starts to bother me or becomes a cause for concern on my part ...

04-15-16 : This is the big day, negotiations start or conclude , be that as it may ... I predict the negotiations will be as follows
    The State hands them the terms and package deal:

The ATA takes it because they do not have a choice, and life goes on ... Then reality strikes and they lose a boat load of money trying to do something that should be set aside until a later date at a different location ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Flyersarebest and Ken Cerney like this.
  34. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

They might have a shoot, probably will, and SOMEBODY is going to pay for it.

Just a WAG but I doubt it will be a bankrupt state.

35. LadyT

LadyT Mega Poster

Maybe you haven't heard that refusing to provide information via a FOI request is against the law. There are no blacklists when it comes to government information.

36. Ken Cerney

There is a TV show "The Blacklist".

37. wpt

Ken,
    I think that's "Blackish", I want to start a show called "Whiteish" and watch the chit hit the fan ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

38. Ken Cerney

Bill most of them are. And it would.