ribless skeet guns

Discussion in 'Skeeters Corner' started by bobski, Mar 25, 2023.

1. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

ive been known to collect odd stuff. but that's what collecting is all about. was a time when they were pretty common, but of course, time marched on.
    anyone here still shoot ribless guns?
    I do. my Mossberg 183k 410 and some model 50's.
    got any pics? post em up!
    m50 ends.JPG

RednBlue likes this.
  2. Michael jenis

Michael jenis Well-Known Member

Ha Bobski ,here’s a couple of blast from the past.a very clean and all original Remington 32 with the hard to find 28 inch barrels and a your favorite model 50 light weight.I have several 50s ,softest shooting auto out there with a great trigger.When you come down to it a rib really doesn’t add that much value on skeet except high one and low seven.

Attached Files:

3. bobski

nice pair of guns there m.j.. thanks for posting!
    those old m50's are sleepers. everyones searching high and low for a nice soft recoiling 12ga gun and spending countless bucks on gizmos to do it...and it was already made 65 years ago!
    win m50 field.jpg

4. bobski

i had a marlin 90 12ga with zero rib. best natural pointing gun i owned.

5. Michael jenis

A marlin 90 was my first skeet gun in the early 60s.it was a field gun and had the barrels cut to 26 inch’s. About ten years ago or more I found and bought a marlin 20 ga “ skeeter “ you maybe never saw one ,factory engraved and very rare.Should have keep that one but seeing I lost part of my trigger finger to Scleroderma couldn’t get on that front trigger I sold it on the Marlin collectors sight.Thought I got good money for it but the buyer said he owes me more money and was tickled pink that he got it.

6. bobski

i stumbled on to one on the net a couple of decades ago. maybe it was yours!?
    marlin 90.jpg

7. Michael jenis

No,that one looks cleaner,thats only the second one I have ever seen 50 and I have been at many shows all over the country,nice gun

8. bobski

hens teeth indeed.

9. g7777777

g7777777 Mega Poster

Lots of ribless guns

Marlin was a hunting gun . Not a bad design. Could be updated and produced today

10. bobski

interesting how the 90 had strikers instead of firing pins.

11. bobski

even the rem M32 had a ribless design.

12. gone7tee

gone7tee Member

I have shot clays and game with both ribbed and ribless barrels, and I don't see any difference at all in the way they perform.

I actually prefer the looks of a ribless barrel. Looks more business-like: meaner, all for work, not made for fashion or style. Maybe that's because I was raised on a ribless Ithaca M37.

13. bobski

ribs werent meant for style, they were meant to dissipate heat wave distortion above the sighting plane.

14. Jack Olson

Jack Olson Mega Poster

I have a Winchester model 50 that I got back in 1962 with plain barrel and I still hunt with it, there great guns.

15. bobski

agree. problem is, no one wants old things anymore. I got a safe full of them just sitting, not being enjoyed by others.