POLL: 1 OZ MAX SHOT LOAD MAX SHOT SIZE #7s

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by dr.longshot, Jan 15, 2015.

1. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

You can shoot 1 oz max shot load w/#7 max shot size

2. Rich

Rich Active Member Founding Member

If this is a poll,what's the question? You can't shoot #
    7 shot in ATA unless it's steel shot.

3. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

were talking change here less shot, more energy in #7s new rule for shot size, equal to European shot.

4. dr.longshot

Poll was discussion on the #7 shot nothing about ATA rules, they change the rules on a whim all the time, just like they did the shell speeds, target angles and distance. They were previous rules, just changing the shot size should be very easy to do, we are lowering the shot charge, the extra pellet energy makes a better target breaking shell, That adds about 6 yards of target breaking ability over 7.5s.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Moderator

Gary, assuming ATA, we, changed to your new rule allowing only a max size of 7s and 1 ounce as a max load, what exactly what would that accomplish for the average ATA shooter or our game?

I'll give you my opinion; such a change wouldn't benefit the average joe one tiny whit, more hurt than help! Smaller pattern size, less pellets to work with which requires more precise pointing?

The accomplished gifted shooters dominating the game today? The spread would be even more apparent if such a change took place! Those guys/gals are precise pointers of shotguns which leaves the rest of us further down the dust line.
    I also know that you mean well but your going at it all wrong Gary.

HAP

6. deepbackwoods

deepbackwoods Active Member

Exactly Hap...,

The reason the few that dominate now are so consistent with their precise pointing technique. This as a mandate would most assuredly distance them from avg. Joe.

7. dr.longshot

The average shooters are now shooting 1 oz loads, when I see the shells on the ground most are 1 oz shells, most new shooters are buying the low priced shells, Top Guns, Gun Clubs, RIO's all in 1 oz. in Europe they are using #7s probably steel, don't know their loading specs. I have seen some of their shells advertised saying #7 shot..
    HAP: most of the buddy shooters are using 1 oz loads now, why? Saving money on reloading, they all are breaking targets very well, we have young ladies shooting them too, that's what daddy is buying them, 1 oz at 1290fps, I don't see them losing any targets, just a change that is taking place all over, because of less reloading supplies, and high cost of shot.

8. dr.longshot

HAP: I never shot 1 oz loads until 2014, I did not think you could break targets w/1 oz, but now use 20grs Promo, Top Gun Hull, Claybuster 12SO wad, RIO primer, 1 oz 7.5s, cheapest components you can buy and the hulls are free, laying all over the ground, I even load the RIO hull same components. Everybody that shoots my shell love them, They start loading them, It is Cheap Loading, saving money is the object.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Moderator

I'm sure you recall Bob Dodd (he broke 100s with 7/8ths ounce too?) from Oregon? He convinced me to try lighter shot payloads years ago. I did and the results were lots of hundred straights on singles with them. A few 97s from the 27 also.

Nothing at all wrong with saving on reloading/shooting costs at all from my point of view either. If I can shoot those reduced loads well, I can only imagine how Harlan/Ricky/Phil/Shaun/Matt/Foster and several hundred more top shooters would fare?

Shell speeds and amount of shot used won't accomplish the goal your looking to implement as I said above. It may even further spread the numbers farther apart than it is today.

Improving the game of trapshooting with more shooters staying in the game should be the goals of all of us?

HAP