old guy needs answers

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by vdt, Oct 30, 2023.

1. vdt

vdt Mega Poster Founding Member

i just bought a 1946 or 47 model 12,sure hit targets but would like to tam some recoil,there is a 7/8 hole on the stock on a angle [stock bolt hole ],i have several as you can see in my pictures recoil reducers, have been told ,how do you put them in ,which may be the best to use ,i have had people tell me to make them work right ,they must be install in line with the barrel ..could some one out there help me

Attached Files:

2. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

Looks like they go in the stock bolt hole. If they are short in the stock bolt hole you would need to pack something behind them so they won't move back and forth (rattle). Maybe pack some Styrofoam behind it, Wooden dowel just under size of hole and even with stock so recoil pad will fit. You want weight in the stock to reduce recoil. I've never used them but have heard they go in the stock bolt hole. I've heard some people use lead shot in a choke tube case that will fit. Good luck. Shoot straight.

3. A26A

A26A Mega Poster Founding Member

Victor. the weight is the reducer.All the rest is just words. A bit of angle will make NOdifference than it it was parallel. Install, fill the void, good pad and it will take 10 to 20% recoil away

4. Sgoose

Sgoose Mega Poster Founding Member

Instead of all the punishing recoil with1 1/8 oz change to 7/8 oz loads they break targets just as well as the heavy loads that is what I used in my model 12 2 pin trap gun with mc stock.
    Sgoose

Bill J. and Thomas Hahn like this.
  5. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

If I remember right 3" model 12's had a lead filled stock bolt hole. This was for recoil with 3" loads. If it worked for 3" it should work for 2 3/4 " loads. Not sure how you would remove the molten lead to take the stock off???

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  6. Kailsdad

Kailsdad Kalisdad

Victor, I have a 1952 vintage Model 12 and I used a C&H ( either of the two silver ones to the right in photo) and that tamed it down a lot. The trick is either secure the C&H reducer in the stock bolt hole with a screw or my preference is I add a7/8" piece of wood dowel behind it to be flush with the pad. I've used mine every year in Sparta for the Nostalgia shoot and winter fun shoots at home once I put the Registered guns to sleep for the winter... Enkoy. Don

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Here ya go!

Attached Files:

A26A likes this.
  8. vdt

vdt Mega Poster Founding Member

i thank you ....all

9. 4andy10

4andy10 Active Member

I do the same as kalidad…. Wrapped with just enough black electrical tape at ea end to keep it from wiggling and then a wooden dowel just long enough to keep everything from sliding back and forth..I’ve always used the mercury filled ones and tried the Edwards but I either didn’t let it supposedly break in long enough or I just couldn’t tell any real different…dropping the payload from 1.125 to 1 ounce or even 7/8 would be huge too…good luck Keith

10. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

I have a 71-year-old Ithaca 5E made the same year I was born. Shoot it for years until I had shoulder surgery. Went with my Krieghoff with a Gracoil. Installed a Falcon Strick Recoil pad on the old girl and am back shooting it. Didn.t have to mess with cutting the beautiful stock, still have the original pad and can still shoot it.

oleolliedawg likes this.
  11. target manager

target manager Active Member

Two on the left are bear trap. Other ones are Mercury. No orientation needed on either one. Bear trap is a little heavier. I've used both. Try them and see. Mostly in you head

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

There were blue and gold Bear Trap reducers. One for left and one for right. I don't remember which. It's only been 40 years since we installed those.

13. Thomas Hahn

Thomas Hahn Active Member

On my Model 12 I poured some lead in a 1/2" PVC pipe and took out the spring in the space where the extra shells go and put it in there , about a lb.

14. Bill J.

Bill J. Member

You might also add a pitch spacer under the recoil pad to tame some of the "felt" recoil. Switching to 7/8 ounce will really help, it's all I shoot for singles, 1 ounce for handicap. I haven't shot 1-1/8 ounce in 50 years.

15. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member

Falcon Strike recoil pad will help but to do as previous comments have been said, change to 24 gram or 7/8 oz will make a BIG difference as long as you have a tight choke.

16. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

Use the Falcon Strick hydraulic pad. No expensive installation cost. Do it your self. Measure stock, order the correct plate, two screws to put plate on , and sucure pad with the quick mount system and you are done. Even a gunsmith like me can do it.