Mod 12 pigeon For Sale

Discussion in 'For Sale-Wanted to Buy' started by Pasquale Calabria, Oct 30, 2023.

1. IMG_1007.jpeg up for sale is my holy Grail, Winchester model, 12 pigeon grade, grade 1 engraving. A carved wood , which they made less of than the B carved. 30 inch barrels , full choke, 14 3/8 lop. 3 pin , Y gun from the custom shop. If you know, you know. You won’t see too many of these around, highly collectible. Serial number puts this gun at 1969.$6969 shipped.!!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2023
    archerman and T.P.S. like this.
  2. Ed Budreau

Ed Budreau Active Member Founding Member

Is this a brand new gun or has it been shot? Thanks

3. No, it is not a new gun, but in excellent condition. Thanks, Pat

4. Come on guys, where are all the model 12 gurus?

5. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

is the (Y) serialized as a prefix or suffix ?

6. Prefix as shown in the picture

7. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

I enlarged the serial number picture since it was too small to see in the thumbnail.

AND, that "if you know you know" really didn't help.

Flyersarebest

Thomas Hahn likes this.
  8. bobski

thanks flys...it was too small for my computer to enlarge it.
    thanks p'. nice gun.
    not too often you see a (plate) 1 receiver.
    last of the good ones.
    very tempting.

9. If you know, you know, was not meant to be disrespectful in any way. Only to those who know about mod 12’s , know what I’m talking about. Model 12’s can range from $100-$25,000 or maybe more. This gun came out of the Winchester custom shop. This is a three pin gun with a Y stamped in front of the serial number. No screws in front of the site , I know what I have and I know what it's worth. Thanks , Pat

bossbasl likes this.
  10. Super Duper pigeon

11. bossbasl

bossbasl Mega Poster

Is this a receiver that Winchester had in inventory prior to the GCA of '68 that had to be serial numbered 'Y" but is the same as re-64 receivers, or is it actually a "Y" receiver? Thanks

12. My man, knows his stuff. From what I was told it is a pre-64 receiver. I was waiting for somebody to ask about that, great question.

13. bobski

my pigeon p4 is y1966301.
    boss'. this gun is a steal receiver, not cast. all guns made as y's from conception are cast with a suffix y.
    thus why i mentioned, last of the good ones.
    pasq', check your pms. did you see anything?

14. bossbasl

bossbasl Mega Poster

bobski:

Not all 'Y' prefix guns were cast. The GCA'68 required manufacturers to identify post '68 production in their serial numbers. When Winchester re-introduced the M12 they used a cast receiver to reduce costs and used a 'Y' prefix in their serial numbering. The reason for my initial statement is that Winchester had a supply of forged M12 receivers (that were serialized only when produced) when they officially ceased M12 production in '64. These forged receivers that were used in post '68 production had to have the 'Y' prefix. A prime example is the Super Pigeon M12's that were post '68 and had the 'Y' prefix but used the 'surplus' forged receivers. Not absolutely positive, but suspect these 'surplus' forged receivers were also used by the custom shop until exhausted and had to have the 'Y' prefix if post '68 production.

Flyersarebest likes this.
  15. bobski

sorry pasq', for hyjacking your ad.
    hope it helps sell your gun.

16. I appreciate all the feedback, Nothing in the ad really caught my eye. Except for one, but you won’t trade me.Lol

17. bossbasl

bossbasl Mega Poster

Engraving pattern is 12-1A which had a slight up-charge from the standard 12-1 pattern.

18. JSKOLAR1

JSKOLAR1 Mega Poster

Is this fabulous M12 still for sale

19. bobski

trades? pm me if you can.

20. CB630

CB630 Well-Known Member

That is a very rare model 12 with that configuration

21. Yes it is , very special gun

22. bobski

pm sent, twice.

23. Checked my pm , did not receive any.

24. bobski

pm sent

25. p.m. answered