Gun Fit My Prospective

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by dr.longshot, Nov 13, 2017.

1. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

You can spend Endless money buying and trying Trapguns, It still If it doesn't Fit it won't hit.
    I have shot a higher POI every year for approx. 10 years, I took .400 off the front of the base of my rib to get my latest Trapgun to shoot high enough to shoot where I need it. The same thing that I done on Previous Trapguns.
    My LOP is 14"inches, that has remained the same. The Off set has changed due to weight gain and Loss, it is about 3/8ths offset, the POI is 22"inches high. I now have TRUST & FAITH in this gun, Just as I had in the Silver Seitz for the Grudge Match. A Shooter has to have TRUST & FAITH in his Trapgun to shoot Good scores. I personally Believe all TOP SHOOTERS do the same to their Trapguns. To me this is not a debateable subject, especially to successful Trapshooters

Gary Bryant................................Dr.longshot

History Seeker and 7.5shot like this.
  2. kolarpole

kolarpole Well-Known Member Founding Member

WOW!!!! Dr. may I ask what is your latest trap gun and rib style. Lots of material re moved for that drop. Thanking you for a reply...............DanB

3. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

I saw so much rib getting my gun to fit me and shoot that 100+% high, I added this little ditty. Works great for ME ! I found no need for the Add-a-Rib, or the like.

When I purchased this gun, it was just too flat shooting for my liking so I went experimenting.

I rest the front bead on what looks like the top of the rib when looking down the barrel, and then forget it...

Thanks to Terry Jordan who many years ago suggested to us on how to get the optimum Crushing POI out of our guns. After raising my comb another 3/8" to get the Smoking effect on the targets, I added this to the rib...

No more distracting "Ramp" while looking down the barrel. IF I do my job, the gun does it's job.

BT-100.jpg BT-100-3.jpg

4. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Kolar Pole it is the Fabarms AXIS RS-12 Un- single, I had my Friend Danny Keaton do the Milling job, I then Drilled the rib and Rib Support w/ 1/8th drill and Installed a 1/8th inch pin and Epoxyed it in Place.

I think adding a piece on the Rear of rib would have done it, but I was already at Adj. Comb was at it's Highest Point, Im also installed an Adj One Point Recoil
    pad adj. from Brownells to bring me up to a more Heads up Mount. Im will try to add a pic of it.

GB.....................DLS

5. dr.longshot

Brad I liked that job, but I needed a lot higher POI to 22"inches

GB..................DLS

6. dr.longshot

001.JPG

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
  7. History Seeker

Doc,

To be honest with you I have no idea what my POI is....

I followed Terry's advice, set the trap on straight away, and began shooting the targets.

I kept raising the comb (had to make longer posts on my lathe) until I was shooting over the top of them, and then lowered the comb until I got Smoking targets each time. Then I measured the distance between the comb and stock, turned up some aluminum spacers, and left the comb alone after that.

Today it still smokes targets like the day I set it up....I never checked it on paper as I didn't want to be totally surprised.

My paper POI days were over after taking Terry's advice setting windage and elevation of my comb to the straight away targets.

IE: Read the consistent breaks, and adjust accordingly. Begin with windage, and then elevation..Worked for me.

B's F BT-100 (3).JPG

8. History Seeker

And the Stock was not the only thing I had fit to me.

Pete Hamann from NY made me a competition forearm for this BT-100 to the exact dimensions of my Rottweil forearm.

The original BT forearm was way too wide for me and yet the Rottweil one was a perfect fit.

Along with having it cut to a 13" LOP, I spared no ponies when it came to getting this gun to fit ME.
    BT-100 (2).JPG

9. kolarpole

kolarpole Well-Known Member Founding Member

Thanks you shooters !!!! I found both post/answers very interesting. It is something what shooters can do to make there targets "dirt balls" and I am always WILLING to listen to all. Thank you all......................DanB