Executive Committee not Board of Directors Voted to Extend Sparta Lease

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by merlo, Dec 26, 2023.

1. merlo

merlo Mega Poster Forum Reporter

According to the Executive Meeting Minutes from 2023, it was the Executive Committee that recently voted to extend the lease at Sparta.

This was done the same week the Board of Directors met. Why wasn’t this put before the Board?

I report. You decide.

merlo out

2. merlo

merlo Mega Poster Forum Reporter

3. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

Is there a single Delegate that understands that this is or was their decision to make? I am betting there isn’t a single delegate with the testicles to object!

Where are the leaders in the BOD? Did Phil Kiner allow it? How about the rest of the state leaders?

Was there a report from the Real Property Committee?

4. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

I HAVE MADE THE STATMENT THAT OUR b.o.d. ARE AS WORTHLESS AS TITS ON A BOAR HOG and the EC IS NO BETTER. I DO NOT THINK ANY OF THEM KNOW WHAT THEIR JOB IS. what are the registered trap shooters going to do when this sport collapses? they had better get it in their heads to take back control of this sport before it is to late. ROGER C.

5. Wally Worker

Wally Worker Member US Navy Retired

The Delegates / Board of Directors, might have voted differently or tabled the motion and studied this further. Evidently the EC was afraid of that vote.

Mega power grab and kick in the shorts.

6. XDelegate

XDelegate USMC Retired USMC Retired Past State President Member State Hall of Fame

This is close to criminal.

The Executive Committee did not have the authority to make this decision. Any Delegate that does not question this action should resign.

The ATA is doomed….not because of a poor decision, but because we obviously do not have any qualified Delegates.

7. Roger Coveleskie

XDELEGATE, Do you think there are five think alike interested ATA life members that could get together and put some pressure on the Delegates to do their job?
    It would be a step towards taking our sport back. I believe there are enough fed up members that would donate to cover the expenses for the group.
    Roger C.

8. XDelegate

XDelegate USMC Retired USMC Retired Past State President Member State Hall of Fame

Roger

I am confused. I pray there is a room full of Delegates planning a revolt. Leadership is a vacuum. I fear the Delegates have abandoned the ship.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Anyone have a better solution?

10. Roger Coveleskie

X , Why are you confused? You stated we do not have any qualified delegates? Roger C.

11. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

OH BOY! That will make 1,800 people happy. Maybe by the time the new lease is up they can get 2,200 people to shoot what they are calling the GAH event.

There's a better chance of hitting the Power Ball lotto.

Reminds me of the orchestra playing while the Titanic was sinking.

I didn't leave the ata, the ata left me.

12. Gary W

Gary W Member

I just want to provide information regarding the EC's Power. I learned thru direct experience that the EC has the authority. Article V of the ATA By-Laws states that the Executive Committee has the power to do any and all things on behalf of the ATA not specifically denied them by the Board of Directors.

This sentence was pointed out to me a few years ago. In 2019, the EC imposed a $1/100 fee on shooters at the GA with the proceeds going to the HOF to pay off the remaining debt for their pole barn. I questioned the authority to impose the fee. I received a terse letter pointing to this section of the by-laws. That was my direct experience in questioning the authority of the EC.

13. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

Gee Gary W…….
    It’s disappointing you didn’t mention the person’s name.

IMG_8598.jpeg

You are wrong! Or that person is wrong. And the horse barn is owned by the State of Illinois!

14. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

im a landlord. so, i know what happens when renters dont pay rent.
    what happens if sparta cant make its lease payments due to low participation?

15. Gary W

Gary W Member

Just providing my personal experience when challenging the EC's power. If you go to the March 2019 EC minutes, line 160, my story is there.

16. Gary W

Gary W Member

The "lease" is not a fixed fee. The State gets a fee on the targets. Despite the participation numbers, the ATA sees a profit of more than $500K off the GA.

17. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

thank you.

Gary W likes this.
  18. Charles Baker

Charles Baker Active Member

ATA Bylaws
    Article V – Executive Committee
    Section 4: Powers
    (a) The Executive Committee Shall have he power to do any and all things on behalf of this Corporation not specifically denied them by the Board of Directors.​

Gary W likes this.
  19. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

Charles,
    That reminds me of the law passed by our US Congress that states they get an annual raise unless they specifically vote not to. That way they can tell their constituents they didn’t vote themselves a raise every year. One of the few pieces of legislation that received nearly complete bipartisan support. Imagine that! Many of our elected Delegates could be replaced by house plants and nobody would notice.

Grocery Guy likes this.
  20. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

Merlo’s statement was to the fact that both the EC and BOD both met together and the EC met separately the same week. The EC works / serves the Board of Directors. From the By Laws.

IMG_8603.jpeg

So why didn’t the BOD ok this at their meeting? I despised Neil Winston and I am sure he would have thought this was an egregious power grab.

21. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

The following is from an article in the County Journal on Feb 1st, 2024.

ATA Executive Director Lynn Gipson said the extension is good news for the ATA and its members.
    “Every year we can have the Grand here (in Sparta) is a good year for the Grand,” Gipson said. “If we were to have the Grand anywhere else, it wouldn’t be what we can have here.”
    Since the Grand moved to Sparta, the event and its membership, especially in youth events like AIM, have continued to flourish, with the organization regularly growing.

Anyone else find that last sentence disingenuous?