Browning SxS Dates

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by randollar, Oct 16, 2022.

1. randollar

randollar Mega Poster

I got a side by side from Browning, 12 ga-28'' barrels. It has Miroku parts and assembled in Korea. I have scoured the internet to figure out age and I am totally confused. Can anyone shed some light on this- serial #7798A57- and explain how they came to dating it? Much appreciate-Thanks

2. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

You probably looked at all the same sites I just did, Google, Browning, and about 4 more and came up with the same conclusion. Why in the heck does this thing only have one letter in it?

I did see a response from a poster from back in 2015 and he said that some of the guns reversed the last two digits for the year. 57=1975

I looked for about 30 min and that is all I could come up with.

randollar likes this.
  3. randollar

randollar Mega Poster

Thanks Flyer! As far as the one letter...I believe it was an earlier model. I picked up a Superpose with it...numbers were much easier to use to identify date...1959. Thanks again.

4. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Just a follow up so you know for sure. I am selling three Model 78 rifles. One had the same type of serial number as your shotgun. I called Browning customer service and was told that, Yep, the Jap guns used a reverse number for the year. Mine was 57 also. That is 1975

5. randollar

randollar Mega Poster

Thank you very much Flyersarebest!