Airport Gun Club Closed Their Doors!

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Rick in Ohio, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Well-Known Member Founding Member

So anyone really know why the Airport Gun Club closed their doors in Carroll, OH? :(

2. Rich

Rich Active Member Founding Member

Money coming did not exceed money going out.

3. Rick in Ohio

That's to bad ..... I like shooting there when I had time to go.

4. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Five of us would make the trip to shoot the marathons or stop on the way back after the Grand and shoot a few more hundred when Paul ran it. One year, on Wednesday during Grand week, he told us he didn't think he was going to open Airport on the Sunday after the Grand. On Friday he told us that so many people wanted to stop on the way home and shoot that he decided to go back as soon as he was finished there and open the club. That's taking care of your customers.

GREAT targets, scores and winnings posted as fast as possible, good food, clean and well kept facilities. I was impressed with how clean and well groomed the grounds were. I found out why the first marathon I went to.

We were standing behind the first trap waiting to go out. I flipped a cig butt away and grabbed my bag. When I stood up Paul was standing about 15 feet away STARING A HOLE THRU ME. He never said a word.

I didn't have to ask. I just went over, picked it up, field stripped it and put the filter in my pocket. After that first hundred Paul came over and the guys introduced me to him. He shook my hand and asked me how I liked the targets, how I did, and did I get something to eat. He never mentioned the bone headed move I had pulled.

Paul was a class act and Airport was a class place because of him. I wore that black hat with the Airport badge on it for years. Anytime someone saw that hat they always commented on what a great place it was. Paul passed away in Jan. 1987 if I remember correctly. Not many managers now a days would do even half the work that Paul did back then.
    You have to take care of the customers.

Flyersarebest

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  5. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Paul always kept the whole field mowed all the way back to the rear by the Airport, and the Campground below the Garage, the trap field and sidewalks edged, the American Flag in good shape, Club house spic and span, New Years always had pork and sauerkraut, a drawing at the Airport Gun Club for entry fee to Ohio State shoot, gave away wads, primers, shot before the drawing. Always at the Microphone calling squads to the line, hustling the shoot so we could finish up early. Elsie was always playing cards with trapshooters wives, after taking entries.
    Dr.longshot

6. Rich

Rich Active Member Founding Member

Who took over from Paul? Must be a while back because I've been in and out of there since the late 90s and the clubhouse has been dirty and reeked of dog crap most times I was there.

7. Rick in Ohio

I am not sure what Franks last name is but he was running the place.