$2.50 a minute to shoot doubles???

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Elsie, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Elsie

Elsie Mega Poster

Went to a game shoot today. A group of us got around to talking about shooting registered trap this Spring, who is going to shoot, where you find shells etc.

In the last few years only registered I have shoot is doubles. We got to talking about shooting doubles. What does it take to shoot a round of doubles in time and money? One squad can go out and shoot 50 birds in what maybe 15 minutes?? You shoot 2 fields - so that is 30 minutes? We never have MORE than 2 squads shooting doubles at our club so there is no time spent waiting.

Wally is selling AAs or STSs for $10.47 a box now. 4 boxes with sales tax is going to be $45, then you got to pay for targets - ATA fees, daily fees, state fees - going to be what $25- $35 for first hundred of the day anyway.

So to shoot 100 registered doubles is going to cost $70 - $80 and take 30 minutes??? $2.50 a minute to shoot doubles??? That is if you can find the shells. o_ONot LOL.

It makes that small head of broccoli that I got poed:p about having to pay $5.60 for yesterday look like a bargain. ;):(

Dam Brandon

2. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I was talking with Dave Berlet and we got to figuring a little and it appears to us that even if you can find the components reloads will be around 10 or 12 bucks a box at today's prices.

A lot of the trap-shooters that have been hunting at my place this year say once they run out of reloading supplies they have on stock they are done. I'd like to know if anyone else is hearing the same thing.

Cargodog likes this.
  3. Elsie

Elsie Mega Poster

Brad a kid (probably 40 LOL) I talked to Sunday at the club said same thing. He stocked up on reloading supplies before the pandemic and once he runs out of that he is through. Not going to pay $50 - $75 for a bag of shot etc.

This kid - is just the kind of person trapshooting needed too. In his late 30s - early 40s, some kind of an engineer making good money, he volunteered at local club shoots the games, shoots registered.

Will the last trapshooter please roll up the cord and turn off the lights. :(

BRAD DYSINGER and Flyersarebest like this.
  4. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Elsie I'm getting a bunch of new hunters that age hunting with me the last couple of years. A lot of new faces that are trying hunting for the first time. Even though it is expensive to shoot on a hunting preserve it's not that much more than a round of 100 registered targets. My business has never been better but I'm going to run out of ammo soon too.

5. Elsie

Elsie Mega Poster

Brad, hope the ammo situation improves for you. I've noticed that the local Rural King has all kinds of pistol and rifle ammo back in stock. A few months ago, all they had were 9mm shells, then .223 came along, finally a week or so ago .45acp, maybe shotgun shells will show up next. I finally came across a few 4 packs of Federals at Walmart for $29.44 a pack.

Maybe things will get back to normal till Russia invades Ukraine, or Biden gets his - only qualification to be Supreme Court nominee - be a black woman on the bench. Well, I guess I should say 2 qualifications - be a black woman and be anti-gun.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.