HEY BIG PAPA - How’s the food and weather in Illinois? Update please.

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by LimaShooter50, Aug 11, 2022.

1. LimaShooter50

LimaShooter50 Mega Poster Founding Member

Hi BIG PAPA.

I know you hate bad food and bad weather. How is the food there? I hear targets are too easy and lots of ammo.

If that is the case the place must be packed.

See you at the Cardinal.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  2. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Forum Reporter Founding Member Forum Reporter

The weather has been hot some days and real nice some days. The food has been very good both here on the grounds and at various places where I have eaten. The Butcher Block has a great ribeye steak and smoked pork chop sandwich here on the grounds. Then you to got to get some of the homemade fresh peach ice cream. Plenty of shells available at the shell house. Your choice of handicap loads are pretty slim now because most folks have been picking them up. The are shooting reloads or wally's on singles and doubles. Then take your ticket and get some handicap loads. They still have plenty of light stuff and a good choice of light (1200 fps) handicap shells. Starting tomorrow anybody can buy 5 flats of shells without an entry ticket. Everything seems to be running very smooth.

3. BIG PAPA

stopped in Sparta Walmart last night. They also still had skids of AA's and various other brands. Plenty of shells. I would guess there is a mad rush at the shell house today. five flat limit. go back as many times as u like to stand in line. Take your wife with u and get 10 flats.

4. BIG PAPA

Pistol City tonight with friends. It was good

5. Justin L.

Justin L. Active Member

Can nonresidents without a FOID card buy shells at the Sparta Walmart? Not being smart- I truly don’t know.

6. bpd20

bpd20 Well-Known Member Founding Member

Unless it has changed, if you live in a state that borders Illinois you can buy at Walmart simply by showing your I.D. from that state. Any other states is a no sale.
    Makes no sense to me but the State Police head honcho made this decision several years back. Sounds like a typical Liberal Democrat decision, nothing based on any facts or merit.

7. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Dave painted another story about the food. He said his rib place was shut down and his food on the grounds, in the club house, was high priced and bad. He also mention another joint that was closed,

8. BIG PAPA

Yep, one of the grand favorites the South Side Ribs has closed. Was always packed during the shoot. I did not eat at the club house. The smoked pork chop was fantastic and the rib eye steak sandwich at the Butcher Block tent vendor was mouth watering. Always a large crowd which is usually a sign of good food. If you purchased an non resident hunting or fishing license for $15 you could purchase shells at Walmart or just take a "friend" with you.

BRAD DYSINGER and alf174 like this.