Downsizing Trap Guns-Which One?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by oleolliedawg, Jan 29, 2015.

1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Since my Krieghoff K-80 has been letting me down lately I'm giving it some thought on where to go next. Looking in the gun cabinet my choices consist of a tricked out Y-Model 12 Trap, several SX-1's and a Browning BT-99 Plus. All are in like new condition so that's not an issue. I know I'm getting old and I scheduled an eye doctor visit shortly but the old K-gun feels awfully heavy. Any suggestions?

2. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

No suggestions, just a comment.

You will miss the K80 trigger. The others don't come close.

3. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Ollie I just took approx. 1 pound of my Blaser F3 1st design un-single. Waiting for the machine shop to finish milling the new rib.
    Dr.longshot

4. oleolliedawg

I do remember when Kay Ohye started shooting his K-80 and had slots milled in his rib to reduce weight. It's got me thinkin"!

5. Eddiefromoverlook

Eddiefromoverlook Active Member Founding Member

oleolliedawg:: Check out the new KOLAR shotguns, they are Light & Lively.

Seriously, the Model 12 would be my choice, it's a great gun for all 3 trap games.

Eddie

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  6. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Active Member Founding Member

Interesting that you're contemplating going lighter.

Im having a Stock Lock made for my K80 and am going heavier.

7. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Member Founding Member

Dawg: Go with the BT,as your going top need a release trigger any how. If you want a different rib you could send it to money maker for an adjustable rib. As for dbl's,just shoot the super X.

8. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Well-Known Member Founding Member

9. oleolliedawg

SX-1 is my personal favorite but it shoots a bit low. I found a barrel that looks like a banana on a friends gun. He says he'll swap me straight across for a flatter shooting one. I'll maybe find out tomorrow. If not , an adjustable comb might come soon.

In the meantime the old Model 12 is filling in nicely and surprisingly the release is as good as any I've ever shot. You can thank Phillips for that!

10. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Well-Known Member Founding Member

Oleo,
    How do you like your phillips sx1 release? I got 2 good hobblit releases and would like a couple of spare triggers.

11. oleolliedawg

I thought my Phillips release was pretty darn good, possibly a bit slow, but somehow I talked myself into two Hobblits and sold the Phillips. I have another one for sale from an unknown manufacturer for $250 if anyone is interested-nice and quick but I decided I don't need three releases!

The Model 12 Phillips trigger is absolutely awesome-as good or better than the Allem release in my K-80. It also converts into a pull trigger by moving the safety. Everyone who tries it is impressed!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  12. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Dawg, if that K gun feels heavy you probably should pull out the lightest one in the rack. My guess? is the BT.

Flyersarebest

13. oleolliedawg

Nope. The BT-99 Plus is not real light. Edge goes to the Model 12!

14. sterlingworth

Dawg: Iam thinking about going back to my 4-E Ithaca. It's a lot lighter than the Perrazzi's Ive been using. Ray

15. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

If you are only considering a change from your vast collection use the Model 12. You can always go back to the K80.

16. Barkingspider

Barkingspider Active Member

Try a 20 gauge.

17. oleolliedawg

The Model 12 failed me on Saturday so out came the K-80 Sunday with scores being about the same-lousy. I think I need to get to FL. sooner than later!

18. sterlingworth

I know you wear glasses,when was the last time you had a vision test? there not getting any younger or better! Iam going for one either this week or next. I know I need it.